Chapter 40 - Invitations

"I have to stay?"

"Y-yeah... it will take longer..." Dream said hesitantly to the other.

He was debating whether to go along the plan or tell Ink because the other was in the verge of crying. He haven't seen him being too emotional. He talks much now unlike their previous encounters, he navigated various things in the Doodle Sphere more easily. Maybe his memories were coming back.

"Is Master okay?" The worry in the other's voice was so evident.

Dream gave a reassuring smile. "He is. Don't worry!" He looked at the other again to see Ink just gazing at him. "What's wrong?"

Realizing his stare, the slave broke away from his trance. "Apologies. I've never seen you smile before."

"Eh?"

"Wh-what I meant was... First General never smiled and... you look exactly like him." Ink explained clearly as he fidgeted with his hands.

"That so..." Dream trailed but didn't add anymore, just smiled softly at him.

He missed Ink so much.

---|---

"You seemed lively now." Horror observed the other as they exchanged strikes.

"Hmm... Ink has returned." Error said plainly as if it was nothing serious.

"Returned?" Horror repeated, lowering his weapon in surprise. "Is he unharm?"

"Yes, Dream gave him back."

"I... did not expect that." After that damage Dream did to Error, that was enough to say he was dead set on getting his hands on the slave. "He could have disposed of him but he returned him."

"I know."

"In any case, I give my sincerest welcome." Horror said with a grin.

"This?" Ink asked, pointing at the collar around his neck. "Dream gave it back."

Error seemed to knit his brows together in wonder. "He gave it back?"

"Yup, maybe he just wanted to."

Error guessed that there was still a little bit of hope for the younger twin after all. He also remembered about Martial, the strange no-strings-attached-favors.

"I got back here because I told Martial that I wanted to."

Error tilted his head. "Why would he do that?"

"Because I saved his life and he said that he'll do anything to repay it." Ink explained before adding, "I also told him that we want to see the orb."

---|---

"You're back already?" Error asked as he spotted the little kid on their bed, feet dangling.

Ink was there on the bed, drawing and waved lightly when he looked up to spot his friend.

'I can't wait.' He smiled innocently. 'I assume everything is settled?'