Chapter 67 - Now or Never

The return to the camp was full of tension.

Some still expected Nightmare to rise from the dead or anything to happen at all. It went like that until lunch where the survivors all sat down in two parallel lines facing each other.

During that, Ink finally showed Error what Dream had given him. The two had a look of eagerness in them but... they can't do it, not now. The duo approached Fresh and pulled him aside for a moment.

"Dream... Dream handed it to me before he saved Error," Ink showed the half of the Multiverse Orb.

Fresh had a blank look on him. The light merely reflects the shades making him look ominous. The silence stretched for quite some time. Error started to reach for Ink slowly. Waiting for any retaliation. He caught Ink's wrist and tried to pull the artist who didn't budge.

"Art thee returning to thine world now?"

Ink gave a smile. "No, we promised, remember?"

Fresh frowned at the answer. "I have failed to fulfill my end of the deal. Thou have every reason to not fulfill the wish of mine."

Error could tell Fresh's formality right now was born out of a shaky fear. "Then... Do us another favor instead?" The glitch compromised and held up his hand.

Fresh did not know what it may be but the chance of healin Geno came first before any more suspicion. He grabbed the offered hand and shook it eagerly.

"We can't decide about the favor yet but we'll be here until we return to Cyfrin, okay?" Ink assured.

After that, the duo returned to their seats to eat. Fresh could only stare in confusion at the immediate decision. It didn't make sense to him that they would choose to stay when clearly, it would not benefit them further. Fresh would have discarded himself if the shoes were exchanged.

The moments after the meal, was when it finally sunk in. It started with little drinking sessions to singing and playing any available materials as instruments. Soon it turned to something not unlike a festival until nightfall.

Ink and Error are having the time of their lives. They dance to the beat of the shield-turned-drums and sing along with the small tunes of victory. Error earlier received enough medical attention to return his HP into a safe level making his time with Ink relatively painless. Ink's eyelights turned into a star and heart as the beat picked up along with their movements. The destroyer once again twirled the artist gracefully then lifted the other by the pelvis. The contact made the other guardian blush and laugh under the illuminating flames.

Cross and Killer merely sit out from the far side and eat while singing along every now and then. They will be gone tomorrow morning so they may as well enjoy the evening. The monochrome took a glance at Killer and saw a genuine happiness on his face despite the melancholy.

"Where will Dream be buried?"

Killer looked at him from the question. He swigged a gulp of the ale before answering. "Our family's estate..."

"No... other immediate family?" Cross asked quietly, referring to someone else other than his twin.

"No... none," Killer said slowly.

"I see... I will send money for his funeral... I hope you make use of it," Cross said.

Killer has a look of confusion on him at the generosity. "You don't have to."

"I insist. I've always found it strange how he shadows Nightmare therefore never saw him in another light. Today changed that."

The prince had always been serious about promises and with that, Killer knew he stood no chance. "Thank you..."