Chapter 44 - Far From Done

The scream ripped through the comfortable atmosphere.

It was soon followed by few people coming at the lump figure closer. After seeing the immobile guest, it made them scramble off to the doors. Error's head swiveled from the door to the front as Nightmare was kicked down by a figure. The near people ran out the way while others shrieked. The masked assassin, all in black, brought down the knife but was caught by one if the King's tendril and flung to the wall. Cracks and rubbles fell off while the octopus stood up with Dream and Martial rushing around to protect him.

His hand was pulled down harshly making him snap his attention to Ink. "The orb!"

Right, they have to grab it while it was there.

They both ran through the crowd, Error behind Ink as the artist lead the way. Cross and the others being pulled out to the curtains, leaving the Multiverse Orb defenseless. It wasn't that hard to approach it either but what made their mission difficult was the hand that swept it away.

"No!" Ink screamed as the orb was taken by another black-clothed slayer swinging on a black rope, using the swing as momentum to crash out the window.

Error did the first thing he could think of by summoning his strings. The speed was uncomparable as it wrapped around the assassin's legs and pulled them away from their goal and to an impending doom. Ink didn't waste a second time to meet the thief half-way and grab the orb from him. Error dropped the strings once the artist reached the target but cursed as he came back empty handed. The orb was nowhere in the monster's grasp. The mask pulled down to see the fangs of the wolf reflecting at them.

The whole place was decreasing in people now. Ink was looking around and spotted a sprinting guest, hiding something in her hands and that was enough for the Guardian of Creation to summon a shield and block the woman from the door. The woman, caught from her disguise didn't hide the fact that she was the one holding the orb.

Error would have kept an eye on them but the movement on the side of his vision directed him to the momster he dragged down earlier. He immediately rewrapped his strings tightly, the wolf releasing snarl at him which he returned with a glare.

"Error!" He snapped his attention to his partner who was waving the artifact in the air. "I got it!"

It's there. They're going home.

They just need to hold each other while crashing the two piece together. To speed up Ink's run, he used his other hand to summon strings and pull the artist closer. He snaked the other to his pocket where it was hidden. His breath caught up in his throat as Ink came closer.

Before he could even reveal the other half, the strings were cut off, losing their grip and making the artist tumble. Error walked forward but before he could take another step, someone had blocked his path with a pained expression.

"I thought you'll heed my warning."

---|---

He didn't expect the blur of color that whizzed between him and his partner and cut the strings. It made his fast travel halt, and he was back on his feet, still tangled at the loosening string and doing a bad job at stopping himself with his tumbling.

Ink cursed at himself as he realized that their string-cutter was Lust, he cursed a second time when he realized that he was about to crash. Then he swore in a loud voice a third time when Reaper slid at his path and awaiting his fate at the scythe held high above the other's head.