Chapter 8 - Sneaking

"You're going to be fine?"

"Error, you've been asking me that since the moment we woke up." Ink said.

Unfortunately, it had been days and Ink's still wearing the same clothes. Error lend him a dress shirt from his closet and some pants. The shoes stays but Ink was relieved as long as he got his sash.

"What's with the vials?" Error asked as he put on his shoes.

Ink wanted to lie but it was really unfair since Error had given him information he doesn't know. "It makes me... feel emotions. I don't have a soul."

The destroyer blinked from the confession. He was honestly shock, he would admit. How Ink had survived living without a soul was strange but it was just as strange as having a corrupted, glitching soul.

"What if you take it off? Will you suddenly turn to nothing?" Error asked.

"No. The vials effects would last long for three hours for the max, bonus if it's near. My body would stay but if I was deprived from them, I'd be a walking emotionless creature." Ink shivered at the feeling of... nothing, feeling nothing at all.

Error noticed the discomfort and gave an apology. He didn't really like making anyone uncomfortable. Ink waved it off with a smile and ushered Error to go if he wanted to meet the Sixth General.

Error looked back at the door, seeing the artist wave at him before closing it. The sound echoing through the empty halls as he went for the stairs. Maids and guards greeting him as usual. Some gossips at the corner talking about the scarf he had knitted yesterday. So what? Make their own scarf. He wasn't an aged woman on a rocking chair, knitting his remaining days because for all he knew, being a Guardian meant being immortal.

In his current situation however, he needed to be cautious because one wrong move and he might be taken somewhere and spread out his dusts. Leaving Ink behind meant betraying him. He sighed and went on his way.

---|---

"Is he gone?" Ink mumbled to himself as he peeked at the open door.

Error's not there anymore. He sighed and slipped outside the room. He placed down his clothes by the door, folded neatly with a note to wash it for the General. He left his sash of vials inside the room. He has three hours before he was deprived of emotions, he have to make this quick. The collar of the dress shirt hid the collar really well. He fished out the map and started to walk where the stairs are. He went for the stairs leading to the 3rd floor of the tower.

This tower has five floors and... Error's chamber was at the fourth.

Ink thought as he switched to another paper where the third floor layout was drawn. He sighed to himself when he saw another halls of doors. Ink looked at the map for any changing room but wasn't fast enough.

"Oi, who are you? You shouldn't be around here meddling."

An unfamiliar voice called while resting a hand on his shoulder. The hand forced him to turn around and he was met by a guard. Based on the armor worn by him, he is indeed one. Ink gulped as he made eye contact with the bear. He was observing him then patted his shoulder.

"Are you an exchange? Do you need assistance?"

He didn't recognize me.