Chapter 48 - Too Many Mistakes

"Did you find him?"

Dust stood at the door of the throne room. He trained his sight right at Nightmare but he caught the figures of the Royal Family of X Domain. He slowed down his breath. His soul pounding and making himself ready just in case Nightmare attacked him out of the bad news. He gulped down any uncertainty and spoke.

"Nowhere. Everyone had searched the whole Kingdom and village."

He could see the worry Nightmare reflected with in his eye light. It was a shame that the beast could fall in love in this state. It made him more human and irritated Dust like no other. The anger didn't come from Nightmare but to the King beside him. X didn't fear snagging the tar-covered skeleton by the front of his clothes.

The height made Dust's King dangle by their feet. Nightmare didn't form any defense. Dust briefly understood that Nightmare knew he was at fault. That Cross was missing because of him. If they didn't invite the X Domain, they wouldn't be dragged in this mess.

"My boy, my Crowned Prince was taken away in your Kingdom. Right under your nose." X snarled right at the negative skeleton's face.

Dust could see the discomfort on the two other children. Although he could read the expectation of the scene. Did they know this will happen?

"I could rescue him. They will be holding Cross for ransom. If you could lend your army I would overpower them."

X laughed at him mockingly, setting the other down. "I will lend you nothing, Nightmare. This quarrel with whichever country they are is your own. I will not participate to clean your mess." X's eye lights glowed brightly. "Seven days, King Nightmare. I want to see the Crowned Prince of X Domain at your gates, by dawn or your days will be over."

Right after those words, X pulled the two children to his arms. Undyne came to their side, guarding the remaining of the family. Dust stepped back to allow them to pass. They disappeared to the halls just for Dream and Martial to enter his vision. The worry on First's features were alarming.

"They are going to suffer, Brother. Why don't you do it for mercy? Kill them. Kill them now."

Dust ignored the voice. He watched the two passed by him and enter the throne room. Dream shut the door, the creaking echoing at the empty halls before he gave one last look and left.

---|---

"YOU KNEW THIS WOULD HAPPEN, DON'T YOU?!" Nightmare's outraged voice echoed through the room.

Dream did no movement. He wanted to pull the boy away but he can't. Martial was left with a tentacle around his neck. Seventh choked as he tried to pry the limb. When nothing happened, he began to sign with his hands.

'I do not.'

"If you know what is best, you won't lie."

'I am not. I wanted to see Cross not lead him to trouble.'

"Are you really sure that is your only sin?"

Martial frowned at the question. 'I don't know what you are implying.'

A screech full of cold, negative sound left the King as he threw the boy down the steps. Dream's body moved on impulse. He went to Martial's side, propping the other to a sitting position. Seventh gave a small soundless cough.