Chapter 64 - And Raise The Flag in His Own Name

"Pull it further!"

"Like this?!"

"Don't shout, Dream!"

"You are shouting!"

Nightmare watched with amusement as his brother tried to adjust his grip on his bow. The cornflower blue light is only a bit brighter under the dawn's gaze. The older one sits under the shade of the tree in the castle garden. For only a moment, it's just him and his brother. Nothing to disturb the peace and paradise.

The world is still asleep as the sky merely tipping between morning and night. In these special moments, it felt like they could forget who they were for a moment. Not princes. Not twins forsaken by fate. Just brothers.

The arrow Dream was holding slipped from his fingertips and sailed through the forest beyond the walls of the castle. A groan of annoyance escaped him.

"I lost the arrow..." The younger twin sulkingly says as he plopped down beside his brother.

"Well, that's fine. Some things tend to get lost in the dark," Nightmare said in a comforting tone.

"They are?" Dream asked and his twin nodded. "But... what if you knew you lost it? Wouldn't you want to get it back?"

"I do... but some things are better left forgotten sometimes, Dream," Nightmare uttered while fiddling on the page of his book. "Some things are not so valuable but some things just simply need to go no matter how important it is."

"Like... the villager and his daughter?" Dream asked with sadness as he recalled the pleading man in court yesterday. Not asking to save his daughter but simply asking for money for a proper burial. It was as if the man knew that the child would not be staying with him anymore. Nightmare simply nodded again and must be recalling the event too. 

However, that made Dream's soul beat in worry. "Ah! What if there's a day that I lost you?! I can't live without you! We're supposed to be there for each other!"

Nightmare looked at him then looked up in wonder. "Hm, that will be impossible. I think that could never happen."

"Why not? The villager and girl experienced it. Why do you think we couldn't?"

Nightmare suddenly stood up and offered his hand. Dream took it and watched his brother climb up the tree they were lounging at seconds ago. Dream didn't hesitate to follow behind and they perched themselves on the tallest branch. From there, they could see past the walls and overlook the town and the horizon. Nightmare tapped him on the shoulder and pointed at the sky.

"You see that thin line? Where the night changes to day?" His brother asked softly and Dream nodded.

"We're not apart as many people believe night and day should be. As long as we're together, we'll always be connected like a twilight sky!" Nightmare said encouragingly. "So, whenever you feel lost or you can't find me, just know that I'm close because I'll never leave you, Dream."

The anxiety lifted from Dream but he still whispered quietly, "Never?"

An arrow hitting its mark is always satisfactory, but for the first time, all Dream could feel was dread. The soul cracked from the center still embedded with an arrow sparking bright with positivity. Dream took the look of outrage in that eye light. The voice of his brother's promise ringing in his head.

"Never."

The face that stared back at him halted his soul to a stutter. Nightmare's unseeing socket had been removed of the dark liquid revealing a familiar purple eyelight that stared at him with hurt.