Chapter 66 - You Will Be Remembered

They heard the roars of victory before seeing the soldiers among the treelines.

The mass was a mix of Atalantean and Cyfrinian soldiers. Most were cheering despite being enemies a few hours ago. A handful stay far away from the crowd composed mainly of men from Atalante. Fresh easily landed on the ground and helped Cross out while Ink did the same for Error. Ink wanted to feel just as happy as them but the dread of telling Killer was a daunting task.

Just as predicted, Killer had broken away from the forming crowd and ran out the hiding spot to meet them. His empty eye sockets now had fairly-lit white eye lights that kept on looking around. His soul, an inverted heart, and a hopeful smile on his teeth. For every step Killer was taking, Ink felt the heavy drape of fear in his bones. However, as Killer came closer and no sight of those golden eye lights, his run slowed to a walk. Error couldn't tear his gaze away from Killer's fearful expression. His steps were dragging to the snow which instantly halted as Cross came up to him.

Killer couldn't breath as the Prince of X Domain approached with regret in those eye lights while holding a set of garments belonging to none other than Dream on his two arms. The clothes were folded neatly but the same cannot be said on its appearance. It was torn, shredded, and dirtied by black stains, gold blood, and dust. On top of it, the circlet rested on the pile without its owner. Killer's blurry vision could only make up so much as his shaky hands went up to pick out the circlet and hold on it with two hands. It felt so heavy all of a sudden.

"I'm sorry," Cross whispered to him.

"No, he promised... He said... he promised we would venture the world-" Killer couldn't even finish his sentence as a lump formed in his throat making every breath hitch uncontrollably.

Ink knew that this was it. He had to tell the other skeleton the message. The artist took a breath and said, "Killer, Dream wants me to tell you:" the monster looked at him once he heard the prince of positivity's name. Ink gulped his own want to sob. "He's sorry for leaving so soon."

Killer stared back at the glinting metal and saw his scrunched up face. Dream would have told him to wipe that expression from his face but Killer just decided to hug the circlet closer to his chest. No sooner, Killer's knees became weak and his body crashed down on the snowy grounds. His frame racked rhythmically with his crying that even Ink couldn't hold back his tears.

The scene was a familiar sight for the Guardian of Creation. When worlds were corrupted or deleted, residents were often missing loved ones leaving them a crying mess or a fit of rage. They ask or demand that Ink, Dream, and Blue should have moved faster, fought harder, plotted better; but nothing could be done now. Like those familiar scenes, Ink did what he could only do after every scenario of grieving monsters and humans: he hugs them in apology.

Before he knew it, his body was moving and embracing Killer's shaky frame. Ink expected the other to lash out or reject him but ultimately, the skeleton could only rest his skull on the artist's shoulder.

"I did not even have time to say goodbye..." Killer muttered over the fabric.

The guardian looked over the King of Cyfrin and silently asked for privacy. Understanding the look, Fresh had marched on past them followed hesitantly by Cross. The only one who stayed was Error who sat down beside them on the snow. They all stayed like that listening to Killer cry his soul out.

Fresh knew that comforting someone wasn't his forte and he's not starting now. Ink taking the initiative and letting him handle other matters at hand was a blessing in disguise. Cross seemed to be stuck with staring at Dream's clothes and maybe considering how he should give it to Killer later. For now, Fresh decided to address everyone who has survived the war.