04|how to win

Темнота

Темнота

The sun had set and the darkness began crawling in. The dark clouds that covered most of the sky indicated that rain was to gush at any minute. One could also tell by the cold breeze whirling in the atmosphere, it was made worse by the ocean breeze near the restaurant we had arrived at.

I fixed my hoodie cap as well as the dark glasses and the mask I was wearing. I also fixed the backpack tightly on my shoulder.

The atmosphere inside the restaurant was filled with different aromas of seafood. Some people appeared to enjoy the night and the adorable sight of the city lights illuminating the ocean water.

Cole and I ambled to an empty table at the farther corner of the open restaurant. Everyone was busy minding their business so no one suspected that I had a load of good money with me.

I sat Cole on a chair beside mine. I took care of his zip to keep him warm. 

A waitress approached us and we ordered drinks. That was to keep us in the restaurant as we waited for the mysterious guy who had instructed us to meet in the beach restaurant.

I kept staring at the entrance. Every man who entered the place was suspicious to me. I did not know his face, but I knew he had a bulky physique and he was tall. Many who walked in were short and those who fit the description of the creepy guy were those who walked in with ladies.

"Guess what." Cole broke the silence. I stared down at him and nodded. "I had this dream that you and I were in a nice place. A place where we could do anything we wanted."

I scoffed. "I hate nice dreams, they always end up not so well."

He groaned. "I don't think your theory about good dreams is right. When we got a bag of money, I had a dream of us eating pizza every day, and see, we have money, we can eat anything."

"I knew it." I chuckled while smiling up at the waitress who brought our drinks. "It's a nice dream but what about the consequence."

"I don't know what you mean." He sulked then sipped his drink, a glass of mor.

Of course, he did not know what I meant because he had no idea what crap I was going through. For three months we have been wandering in Russia like street kids. We sometimes went a whole night without a meal and many were those times when I nearly gave up. 

I won't lie, I nearly ran away to leave Cole in the house sleeping, but with one look at him, I saw an innocent boy who needed someone to hold.

The money that dad left, I thought giving the lawyer would be enough to pursue the case of our missing father, but it turned out the money was not enough.

I had no idea how many crimes I committed in those three months. I took Cole to different restaurants to have a nice meal, and I then left without paying. I had many times when I walked into stores and hid some drinks, until I was caught in a gas station where I had walked out without paying for two bottles of water.