78|the Desired Dinner

Three weeks later

Three weeks later

Damn, traffic! Today? of all days?

I groaned soundly while staring through to see the endless traffic stretching its way. It annoyed me but without a choice, I sat on the comfortable car seat, hand on the wheel. 

The clock ticked, the night had fallen in, and street lights blended with the vehicle lights blazing up the sky. I glimpsed on the phone screen, thirty minutes past seven. Just then, Mum’s incoming call emerged on the screen. 

“Mum,” I answered, glancing at unmoving traffic.

“Dmitri is here. You were not supposed to be that late.” She said and my heart sank. He got there before me. A dinner I had been looking up to got ruined by the stupid idea of going to Mum’s shop to get a cake for dessert.

“I know, sadly, the traffic isn't much of a darling.” I sighed, that had not been my plan. 

“Okay, I guess by the time you get here, your father will be here.” She said and I nodded, at least I wasn't the only one late.

“Alright, I see it's moving, I will be there.” 

Someone needed to make me understand why when one plans something, it never goes well. I planned for this dinner my entire life. I always watched movies where girls would invite their boyfriends over and introduce them to their parents, it had been a wish that had to come true. But one thing that went wrong was for Dmitri to be home and someone else opened the door for him. I wanted that to be me. It sounded childish but I wanted it so badly. 

In the next thirty minutes, I pulled into our compound, sighting Dmitri’s car parked in our lot. I parked mine as well and took the cake that rested on the passenger seat. After grabbing everything, I stepped out and walked around to get inside the house, but halted at a hooking.

Whirling, I faced Dmitri’s car where the window was rolling down. Cole’s grinning face greeted me before I shifted to the driver’s seat where Dmitri sat. 

Smiling, I walked to them and bent over to peek inside. “What in men’s private meeting is happening in the car?” I asked, getting giggles from Cole and a smile from my man.

“We were eating nuts.” Cole showed me an empty pack of nuts. 

“Oh, I am glad you found something else to beat ice cream.” I shifted my eyes to Dmitri. “Looking good.”

He winked. He was wearing a black dinner jacket that matched with dress pants and a dark blue shirt. Always hot. 

“Why are you here?” I looked around. “Is Dad here?”

“Nope, he is almost here, I called him,” Cole answered.

“Then let's go inside, why did you come out?” I opened the door for Cole. “Take this to the kitchen.” He took the cake and dashed inside, leaving me as I stared at Dmitri. “Got bored inside?”