50|his Approach

Being engaged did not only come with happiness but also worries

Being engaged did not only come with happiness but also worries. I was concerned about how Dad would take it. He never got along with Dmitri and I assumed it because I was not wearing a ring back then. But wearing a damn ring on my finger was loud enough to tell Dad I have been fucking around.

I had to hide my finger.

"That is amazing. I will buy you a gift." Dad flashed a gentle smile to Cole as his hand caressed his shoulder. Cole was bragging about his performance at school. He also mentioned that he was part of the football team.

"I have many things now." He was sipping his Sprite. "but if it's a dog, I will take it."

I frowned as I grabbed my glass of iced coffee. Him and dogs. It wasn't ice cream anymore because Grandma stuffed the fridge with ice cream.

"I can get you one."

"Really, Dad?" Cole asked in pure shock. I could also see excitement lingering in his cute eyes. I also felt like asking Dad the same question-Really?

I had no idea if he said it to dismiss the topic but it was surprising that Dad was to get Cole a dog.

Cole was to spend the weekend with Dad since Dmitri was to leave in the evening, and my flight with Caitlin was early in the morning the next day.

It was also good for Dad to spend time with Cole.

"So, when were you planning to tell me?" Dad finally gave me his attention.

I knitted my brow in confusion. "About what?"

He shifted his gaze to my hand and I quickly pulled it away. I forgot that I was supposed to hide the ring.

I drew my lower lip between my set of teeth. "Well, probably when I am ready for your lecture."

"I give advice, Inna, not lectures. Do you know what this means?"

"That I will marry a man who dad hates."

He let out a silent scoff and then picked up his glass of whiskey. After a sip, he gazed at me. "Your mum could have warned you about it as well."

"You think I don't know why you don't like him?"

He cocked an eyebrow but said no word.

"This is Russia. You know the life here and suspect it also made you run to London. So let's be honest, is it because of who he is or you are just trying to control my life?"

"So you know who he truly is?"

I let out a sigh, "I do. So please."

"Okay." He nodded. "If that's what you want then."

I did not respond. We both fell into another silence. I did not let his warning get into me, because I did not want any negativity.

Life was full of challenges- ups and downs, hard and soft- we only needed to be prepared on how to take it.