81| Vows

“Can I come in?” 

“Can I come in?” 

I looked up to the door where Malia’s voice emerged. She had a small smile on her, carrying a green handbag that matched the color of her jacket. 

“Come in.” I pushed the laptop off my lap and placed it beside me on the couch I sat on. “Going somewhere?”

She sat on a different couch facing me. “Yes. I've decided to visit Dad.” She shrugged, for a second, she got carried away by her thoughts but flashed back quickly. 

Her father had been sick for almost three weeks. We had been following up on the news about him being admitted to the hospital after being seriously ill.

“You should,” I said. “He is your father, even when you fight. Go see him.”

“Yes.” She breathed and looked away. “I appreciate everything. Your kindness.”

“Won't you come back?” I raised an eyebrow, confused. 

“I've decided not to run away from my problem. They are family, I will solve the issue.” She smiled, “You taught me to face problems.”

“Ah.” I laughed. “This world isn't for the weak. We need to be strong.” She nodded and I continued. “And another piece of advice, just never underrate anyone. We are all humans, and just as you would like to be respected and shown a little compassion, so does everyone in this world.” I bit my lower lip, a small sigh leaving my nose. “This isn't about how you and I met, it's how you should approach everyone. That way, people will even feel free around you. You can also make friends and be able to live with people.”

She nodded, her cheeks had turned red. I did not mean to shame her but I knew she could use my words and start another life. Dmitri mentioned that the shares Malia’s father had in the company were sold. A lot had happened and I was less interested, so Malia was just an employee in the company.

“You are right. I don't think I have any friends, except for family friends that my family forced on me. You know, when you get some kids, let them live, don't control them, it will ruin their future.”

“You are right.” We could agree on something.  Malia and I had nothing in common, she wasn't the type I would feel comfortable sharing my stuff with, like I would with Caitlin Alessia and even Carina. “I wish you all the best.” 

“Thank you.” She huffed, rubbing her hands against her jeans. “Thank you for also opening my eyes.”

My brows pulled together. “Hmm?”

“I believed that Dmitri was the man I could spend my life with, but everything was what my parents fed me. I have a life out here.”

“Yes, go and face it,” I said, when it came to Dmitri, I wasn't ready for any stupid discussion. He was mine. “Funny how I once tried to force him on you.”