56|her breakup letter

"Dmitri

"Dmitri."

Inna's low voice met my ear, causing me to pause every activity. A shiver coursed through my body, settling in my stomach.

The grip of the knife in my hand tightened, the sharpness meeting the wrist of a lady tied up on the seat. Blood began oozing from her but my mind had drifted to the phone call.

The rage in me leveled.

I signaled Akim to take over with the activity I was running in the basement. The lady had to give us the information we needed. She was the same lady that Malia reported to me to have been following Inna.

I stepped out of the dimly lit basement using the back door that led me outside to the open parking area. It was one of the old buildings in my territory, where I mostly ran such businesses. I was welcomed by a roaring thunder. The rain was gonna fall.

"Inna," I called. It felt absurd to just talk to her yet I still couldn't get her in my hands. Hearing her voice meant that she held on for me to find her and I failed.

"I have a question." She professed.

Stiffness settled on my shoulders, a certain emotion crawling in my heart. 43 hours without hearing her voice, but that wasn't my wife, she sounded weak.

"Are you hurt?" That's all I managed to ask, I knew a lot about the game, for one to hold someone captive and then make a call hours later, they needed something.

"I will come home in a few minutes," she said and a shaky breath emerged from her end. I shook my head and my fist tightened. "I just needed to ask something."

"Talk to me."

She was not okay. "There is a picture of a baby... you know... I only saw it somewhere in your car and hm...I wanted to know who the baby is."

I let everything sink in me and every damn sense I had in me urged me that Inna wasn't with Ronan, it was a different person.

"Is that all they wanted? To kidnap you for mere information?" I asked with anger hitting a spot.

"Just answer me, okay?" Inna raised her voice,

She knew the baby, from the conversation she had with Mister X on the phone she hid from me, I knew she had the answers about the baby.

"Maksim," I answered, knowing there was nothing to lose, as long as she would be okay. "Maksim Konstantin."

"Where is he?" She whispered and a distant chiming sound emerged from the end.

"Is he listening?"

"Just answer me, where is he? Come on Dmitri." My eyes fell shut and the chiming noise from Inna's end echoed again. It immediately clicked in me that I heard the sound when I was under the bridge earlier. It was a church bell.