⁘Chapter 3⁘

***

"Please Mridula!" Rakesh pleaded trailing after an irritated Mridula.

"No, no, no." Mridula without looking behind her shoulder, "And if you didn't get it the first time, No."

Mridula sighed when Rakesh drew a breath to try convincing her once more. She massaged her temple and grabbed her clipboard. Mridula's white coat swayed back and forth, seemingly annoyed with Rakesh as well.

"Mridula! Give him a chance!" Rakesh grabbed Mridula's clipboard and held it away from her grasp. A sigh of vexation broke of Mridula's lips once more. Rakesh began to ramble about how Shreyas had changed since their days in college.

"Listen," Mridula interrupted Rakesh's rant with a raised hand. "I don't give a damn if that prick change, I am not letting him into my hospital wing, and nor am I going to treat him."

"Oh, yes you are." Doctor Shree's sounded like nails scratching on a blackboard, to top it off the words that came from her lips weren't pleasing for Mridula either.

"I don't have to." Mridula snorted with an edge of displeasure and disrespect creeping into her voice.

"How about losing your job if you don't?" Shree sneered with a superior tone, Mridula stiffened. "Well, I suppose I can cancel the funds for the Polio-" The devious head doctor started once more, Mridula's eyes widened.

"Shree, please stop being unreasonable-" Mridula took an involuntary step back, startled with the threat.

"We need those funds!" Mridula's eyes prickled with tears. "Alia is on the brink of-" Her voice choked up, unable to finish her sentence. Doctor Shree's eyes were zoned out and disinterested, a flicker of anger showed in Mridula's eyes.

"You call yourself a head doctor?" Mridula's voice raised with every word when the words came out of her clenched teeth and jaw.

"Careful Ms.Sharma, your treading on thin ice." Doctor Shree sniffed and her beady narrowed on Mridula.

"You don't even deserve being a janitor! I bet the janitor has more empathy than you!" Mridula was furious and she didn't have control over herself. Her teeth were clenched and grinding against each other.

"That's it!" Shree gathered her torn dignity with a furious expression. "Forget those funds."

"Shree, I'm so sorry!" Mridula massaged her temple with an ashamed expression, Shree scoffed.

"Too bad." Shree sneered and Rakesh winced, he knew it was time to step in.

"You see, it was actually Mridula's idea to bring Shreyas here." Rakesh interrupted with a tinge of urgency. Mridula's eyes lit up with surprise, but Rakesh's expression warned her to go with it.

"It was?" Mridula was bewildered, but taking another look at Rakesh's serious expression she added. "It was!"

"Great," Shree immediately brightened up, she straightened her hair and checked her breath. "Shreyas is arriving in two minutes."

"What!?" Mridula screeched indignantly, her expression was horrified.

"That's great news!?" Rakesh kept the same tone and supplied smoothly, Mridula shot a pointed glare at him.

Mridula was anything but happy, she was disgusted. Rakesh didn't know a small detail that had occurred in college. Shreyas wanted to get closer to Mridula, so he crafted a devious plan by him, using Alia to get closer to Mridula. Of course, Alia knew about his plan. But Alia wasn't willing to break up with Shreyas, who'd tried to convince her. Mridula did have a minor crush on him, but her affections were crushed when she found out about Shreyas and Alia's little plan.

Mridula stood stock still for a few seconds before speaking.

"I'm using my holiday." Mridula moved toward the brown hat-stand, Rakesh drew a breath to protest. But Shree was delighted and definitely on cloud nine.

"Of course," Shree composed herself but couldn't stop a smile from forming. "I'll treat Shreyas myself."

"Mridula, come on!" Rakesh frowned a tad irked. "He's changed."

"How do I know that?" Mridula muttered under her breath, chafed with Rakesh's protests.

"You can trust me! I'm your brother."

"Step-Brother."

Rakesh's expression fell when the two words escaped her mouth, Mridula winced and internally chided herself. Rakesh considered him her, true and true brother. But he was actually her adopted step-brother. Originally a couple had adopted Mridula and after a few years adopted her father's step-son. Mridula drew inhaled to apologize profusely.

"Oh, my gods!" A voice squeaked, the tone became higher with each word. The last word was practically a squeal that made Mridula wince.

"He's here!" Another doctor swooned and plastered her face against the window. A car had rolled up in the front parking lot of the hospital. Mridula rushed in the opposite direction of the swarming mob.

"Hey," A deep male voice came from behind Mridula. "Long time no see."

***

Ooohhh! Looks like Shreyas and Mridula meet once more.

Poll: How is the story so far?

***

Fairytales...

We all grew up hearing about ancient kings and queens. Sometimes a few fables and fairy tales wormed their way into the bedtime stories.

"Papa, Mumma says life isn't like a fairy-tale," A young girl with chubby cheeks and silky black hair. A middle-aged man chuckled and pinched her cheeks.

"It is." The middle-aged man, who was named Arun, confirmed.

"Then... Is there a prince for me?" The little girl's eyes widened with wonder.

"Depends, if I like him-" The man frowned and pondered, but he heard a soft snore next to him.

"But you certainly have a prince, Shivani."

***

Dipti Reddy, a cricket groundskeeper. You're an average shy girl. Doesn't talk with too many people.

***

"Woman, you're driving me nuts." A man with soulful dark brown eyes and black hair, that in the light seemed a dark shade of brown. He wrapped an arm a woman, which drew a gasp from her.

"Is it wrong that I want to kiss you?" He raised an eyebrow, the girl flushed with embarrassment.

"Um... I-" She stuttered unable to come up with a response. He leaned toward her, the stuttering immediately stopped and so did her breath.

"May I?" He asked in a mannered tone, the girl opened and closed her mouth, unable to speak. She managed to squeak something out that sounded like 'yes.'

Or that's what KL Rahul thought it was.

He captured her lips and traced her cheekbones with his thumb. The girl relaxed in his grasp. The moment they broke apart, KL involuntarily leaned forward to kiss her again. The girl was breathless. KL let his fingertips brush the edge of her mask, the mask that hid her true identity. He retracted his hand and took off his mask.

"Hello," He smirked, there was a gasp from the girl. Her phone pinged in her pocket.

"I... uhm... I have to go-" The girl stuttered and pulled away.

"What?" KL was momentarily confused and realized that she was bolting for the exit. When he regained his senses, she was long gone.

"She didn't even leave me a glass slipper," KL whispered, partly annoyed with himself and partly annoyed with her running from him.

Oh... Good Luck finding her KL Rahul...

***

Without A Glass Slipper

Coming Soon

***