⁘ Chapter 12 ⁘

⁕ ⁕ ⁕

I stared at the wall, unable to believe the news still. Just yesterday, I realized that I was still in love with Mridula. A year after she left, I started to compare the girls I met with Mridula. I wanted to date a girl who was exactly like her, but that was near impossible.

Because Mridula was one of a kind.

The news of her marriage came up as an electric shock, a jolt telling me to wake up. She still thought that it was me who caused Alia's... abrupt... decision.

But that was far from the truth, Alia had suggested that we pretend to date. It would give me an opportunity to make her jealous, but it had the opposite effect. She was one of the many people who shipped us together.

"Hey," Mridula's voice shook me out of my daydreams.

"Sup," I grunted, trying to mask my confusion. Mridula ignored my expressions and flipped through the pages of her clipboard.

"We'll start the exercises today," She informed me, and I grinned with obvious delight.

Finally! It's just a matter of time till I can play!

"Any pain or tingling?" Mridula jotted down a few notes and asked me. I shook my head.

"Alright, try to stand up." She set aside her clipboard on the counter. I shifted almost all my weight on my good shoulder and arm, pushing myself up. Mridula hurried toward me, noticing that I was about to fall, I leaned on her and managed to get up.

"Ugh, I feel so sore," I complained and she rolled her eyes. She retorted, "You haven't even started the exercises."

"Okay, so just try to walk around for a bit." She instructed and I obeyed. I just wandered the Polio Prevention Wing, occasionally coming across a few kids. I saw a stack of cards and decided to brighten a few of the dull faces.

"Hello," I settled down on a chair, in front of me was Manoj and a few of his acquaintances. None of them seemed interested in talking to Manoj, who was sulking.

"Can I show you a trick?" I pulled the stack of cards out from under my chair, to someone else, it would have seemed as though the stack had appeared out of thin air. I had the children's attention, Manoj perked up and turned toward me.

"Pick a card," I flattened the deck, and a girl raised her hand as a volunteer.

"What's your name?" I smiled warmly at the girl.

"Shreya!" She beamed, and I allowed her to pick a card. She chose the one in the middle, she memorized the type of card it was.

"Alright, now keep your palm above it." I gestured for her to sandwich the cards between her palms. I waved my hand over her closed palms.

"Alright open it," I grinned, knowing I did the trick properly. Shreyas opened her palms and gasped. The card was missing. I snapped, her attention returned to me. Closing her palms once more, I waved my hand again.

"Check," I chuckled, and Shreyas opened her palms to find a card. She squealed happily, and the kids rushed forward, wanting to be the next participant.

"Ahem, Mr.Iyer?" A stern and annoyed voice came from behind me, I flipped around to see Mridula. She had a very annoyed expression on her face, and her hands were on her hips.

"I said stretch your legs, not give me a panic attack by disappearing." She was thoroughly irritated with me, and I smirked.

"Oh, so you care that much about me?" I stood up with ease, my sore muscles were plenty better now. She gritted her teeth.

"Come on," She motioned for me to follow her with an irritated flick of her hand. I chuckled and followed her. Mridula led me back to my room, and I sighed.

How long do I have to spend in this cage?

"Alright," Mridula sighed and unwrapped my cast. She gingerly touched my arm, and I nodded.

No pain, no gain.

She gave me very specific instructions on how to move my shoulder, I winced a few times. Mridula sighed with exasperation.

"Not like that," She placed her hand on my shoulder and started to move it back and forth. I felt a searing pain in my shoulder. The pain started to numb, the more I moved the shoulder. I opened my eyes, to see how close the two of us were.

I didn't mind at all.

"Hey," Aravind's voice cut through my dirty fantasies.

"Mom wants to see you," Aravind got straight to the point, and Mridula nodded.

"I'll have Priya finish your check-up," Mridula turned to me, and I nodded.

Reason Number 12334 To Hate Aravind, interrupting the one-moment Mridula doesn't hate me.

⁕ ⁕ ⁕

Dang...  Poor Shreyas

I made this meme in my free time. I think it suits me XD

 I think it suits me XD