⁘Chapter 41 ⁘

Mridula's POV

***

"Mridula?" Shreyas spoke up, his hand around my shoulder and my head resting on his chest. The credits of a Hindi movie played in the background, I hummed a response.

"Can I ask you something?" He mumbled, and I nodded.

"What do you think about us getting married?" He blurted out and I frowned, thinking it was a joke, I laughed. But my smile died when I saw his serious expression.

"Are you kidding?" My voice laced with disbelief.

"Shreyas, I'm at the peak of my career," I sighed.

I was running for Head Doctor too, that Shree needs to be taken down a peg or two

"So?" Shreyas frowned, "It's not like you're going to stop working-"

"Shreyas, when you're on tour." I tried to explain it to him, "Would you want me with you?"

"Of course," He looked at me as though I asked him something utterly ridiculous.

"Well... how can I go to work when I'm in another country," I rolled my eyes, and his frown deepened.

"I can't just stuff everything into a suitcase and travel every few weeks," I retorted, and he knitted his eyebrows together.

"Ah, so my career is the problem?" He snorted, and I gritted my teeth.

"No! You're completely missing the point." I huffed, "I'm saying, you'll need me to travel a lot. I'm more of a steady person who likes staying in one place, I know tours end and come, but you'll have a tour every two months. I'm at the peak of my career! I need to be here for it,"

"I'm at the rise of my own career," He clenched his jaw, "I'm even possibly in the running for the captain of the Indian team.

"Shreyas Iyer, are you telling me to put you first before my ambitions?" I crossed my arms, and he looked taken aback.

"I mean..." He fell eerily silent, "In a way, yes."

"I can't do that," I stood up,

"Shreyas, I'm not looking to settle down, I want to grow as a person," I mumbled and he clenched his jaw.

"You don't have to make such a scene out of this," He grumbled, I saw his hand slip into his pocket. Which was when I noticed a box inside his pocket.

"What is that?" I demanded, and he quickly turned away.

"Nothing," He breathed, and I stared at him without any emotion.

"You were going propose, weren't you?" I gasped and cursed myself

Shit... Now he thinks I hate him

"Yeah, until someone lashed out," Shreyas muttered under his breath thinking I couldn't hear him.

"Shrey," I hugged him from behind, "I'm sorry, I just... I need this promotion,"

The Polio Prevention Wing needs a serious upgrade before things get dangerous

Shree certainly won't help.

"I get it," He lashed out harshly, and I backed away.

"Just... call me?" I mumbled and went outside.

***

Oof Proposal Gone Wrong