⁘ Chapter 11 ⁘

⁕ ⁕ ⁕

Shreyas sighed impatiently, waiting for Mridula to show up. After what seemed like an eternity, he heard approaching footsteps.

"Hey," Mridula called out a greeting nonchalantly, which Shreyas returned with a wave.

"Does the arm hurt?" Mridula asked without looking up from her clipboard, Shreyas shook his head. He'd gotten used to this procedure, she'd always ask two questions.

"How are you feeling?" She seemed oddly emotionless today, and Shreyas inspected for any traces of sadness or joy.

"It's average pain," Shreyas shrugged, before Mridula could ask to elaborate on what he meant, the door creaked open.

"Hey," Aravind flashed Mridula a smile, and she returned it. Shreyas sank deeper into the hospital bed, glaring at Aravind.

"Well, quick question." Aravind leaned on the door frame, and Mridula motioned for him to continue.

"Coffee?" Aravind checked the time, it was the usual timing that he showed up to interrupt Shreyas's check-up.

"Not right now, I need to change the dressing for him." Mridula smiled apologetically and inclined her head towards Shreyas.

"You comin?" Rakesh's voice came from behind Aravind, Aravind winked and was dragged away by Rakesh.

"So..." Shreyas decided to ask her the question right off the bat.

"There's a rumor going around the hospital." Shreyas continued, and Mridula continued to ignore him. She jotted down his blood pressure and how he was doing.

"Does the arm feel tingly?" Mridula's question was out of the blue, and Shreyas paused to think about it.

"No," Shreyas decided at last, and Mridula nodded. Opening the cupboard, she pulled out her supplies and skillfully got to work.

"Mridula?" Shreyas broke the peaceful silence, Mridula grunted.

"Mridula?" Shreyas parroted once more, Mridula grunted once more.

"Mrid-" He started, but this time it was just annoying her.

"What do you want!" Mridula hissed under her breath, obviously in a bad mood. Before Shreyas could ask, the door opened once more. This time, it was Doctor Shree.

"Ah, Doctor Sharma." Doctor Shree smiled warmly, which was scaring the heck out of Mridula. Shree never smiled, let alone 'warmly'.

"Yes?" Mridula cleared her throat, and faced Shree.

"I'd just like to thank you for your amazing service." Shree hugged Mridula, and Mridula was starting to wonder if Shree had a concussion.

"Mr.Iyer, you'll be good to go soon," Shree turned her beady eyes to Shreyas, and Shreyas smiled.

"Woah, back up." Mridula raised a hand, with a frown.

"He needs rest." Mridula retorted. "He's in no condition to leave,"

"But, wouldn't you be occupied?" Shree widened her eyes with fake innocence.

"My job is to make sure that he doesn't strain himself," Mridula snorted, and Shree chuckled.

"He's just going to travel to Chennai for the next match, not across the world," Mridula gritted her teeth, and Shreyas decided to intervene.

"Besides, Mridula could just come with me!" Shreyas snorted, and Shree was startled.

"She has things to do," Shree retorted almost immediately.

"Like?" Shreyas raised an eyebrow. "She has a job, and her job requires for her to make sure that my shoulder's healed,"

"For one, she's getting married!"

WHAT?!

***

Dang... Shreyas just had a shock of his life-time...

***