⁘Chapter 32 ⁘

Mridula's POV

***

"I mean, who the heck works up the nerves of a surgeon who's about to their very first surgery?" Aravind demanded, and I chuckled.

"Aravind?"

"Yeah?"

I set my coffee cup aside, "You're telling me this story for the fifth time,"

"Well, we literally talked about everything," Aravind shrugged and sipped his coffee. My phone pinged, and I smiled at the message. It was from Shreyas, saying that he was here.

"Shreyas's here for his final check-up," I set the coffee cup into the sink, and informed Aravind.

"And, Aravind?" I turned back to him before opening the door.

"Yeah?" He tilted his head curiously.

"That's Rakesh's coffee." I gestured to his cup with a cheeky smile, Aravind's smile morphed into a glare.

"He's gonna kill me!" Aravind complained, and I stuck my tongue out at him. Rakesh was infamous for his love for coffee, anyone who dared to drink his coffee would face his wrath.

Shreyas was already in the patient room when I arrived at the lobby, grabbing the clipboard I'd rushed upstairs. Shreyas was scrolling through his phone, and sitting cross-legged on the bed.

"Hey," I greeted him breathlessly, I'd flown up the stairs, not wanting to be late.

"Miss me?" Shreyas smiled, and I responded with a blank face.

"Alright, so..." My work demeanor settled in, as I scrolled through notes that I'd taken. Shreyas wisely stayed silent, knowing that I would chide him if he spoke.

"You've healed completely according to the tests, but I want to make sure," I told briefly, and he grunted his acknowledgment.

"You know the drill," I tore my eyes away from the papers and set aside the clipboard. Shreyas wormed out of his shirt, giving me a clearer view of his shoulder. He set aside the shirt, folded it neatly. But the shock was apparent, my cheeks flared crimson.

"I only need to see you're shoulder, not..." I trailed off, unable to form words. Taking deep breaths with my eyes closed, I regained my composure.

"Alright, you seem good to go," I finished up the check-up and pulled the clipboard from its position.

"I'll be right back," I excused myself to go and turn in the official form, Shreyas whistled happily and Manoj came in.

"Why wasn't Bhaiya here for the past few weeks?" Manoj demanded, his hands placed on his hips.

"That's because Shreyas is all better now," I pinched his cheeks, he frowned with disappointment.

"Oh," His lips made a moue of sadness, but he pushed past me and ran to Shreyas.

Humming to myself, I left toward the elevator. I saw a very lost woman wandering the hallways.

"Hi, can I help you?" I smiled sweetly, and her eyes brightened up when they landed on me.

"Yeah, I was looking for my fiancee, I can't find his room." She smiled sheepishly, and I nodded.

"I can help?" I offered, and the relieved smile appeared on the woman's face.

"Mridula," I held my hand out which she accepted.

"Smrithi," She introduced herself.

"Do you know which room he's in?" I queried.

"Oh, no need!" She smiled gleefully. "He's right behind you!"

I turned around, and the smile faded from my face.

Shreyas?

***

Lolll

There was nothing I could do to prevent this plot twist, cause it was the planned pre-climax thing.