⁘Chapter 42 ⁘

Mridula's POV

***

I sighed, and my footsteps echoed through the empty hallway. I sighed with unhappiness.

"What an idiot," I was partially mad at the way Shreyas had reacted.

I'm in love with him, yes. But I'm not ready to ditch my life every few months. During the IPL it's even worse! He doesn't even have time to call me, and he has to move cities every three weeks. If he's I suppose promoted to Captain of the Indian Team, I'll be happy for him. But it would mean that we'd spend a lot less time together. I've seen how Virat and Anushka make up for it, but I'm not a traveler. I prefer being anchored in one place.

I mean, just imagine. My career is just as important as Shreyas's. I can't exactly leave my life behind for him. Falling in love with a cricketer, an international one at that, means that I have to be willing to do that. I'm not yet ready for that big step.

I was lost deep in my thoughts when an idea popped into my head.

What if he'd just proposed? Would I have said yes?

I tried to picture the scene in my head, in vain. I heard the scuffling of footsteps from behind me, goosebumps appeared all over my arm. I turned around quickly.

There wasn't anyone there,

I decided to call someone, I saw that Abhi was online. I quickly dialed her number and she picked up the phone on the third ring.

"Hey," I smiled, relieved to be talking with someone. The streets were surprisingly quiet and deserted.

"Everything okay?" Abhi frowned, and I assured her that I was fine.

I saw a hand shoot out of nowhere, and pulled me away. My phone slipped out of my hand because of my surprise. Before I could yell, the hand covered my mouth. I struggled against the grip. I smelt an odd acidic smell.

That's... That's a sleeping drug-

My brain was moving sluggishly, and all of a sudden. The world was eclosed with darkness.

***

Woah... I'm updating on the weekends

It's a miracle-