Chapter 17

!! T.W. Mention of abuse, mention of sexual assault !!

John's POV:

"Awh. Martha's so sweet." I say smiling. Alex nods with a small smile as well. He seems distracted. It's about last night I bet. I still can't believe that. Does he actually have feelings for me? What do I feel for him? It's all so confusing.

"So," He starts, "The sisters asked if we wanted to meet up with them later. Park?" I nod, "Yeah that sounds fine..hey um, we should talk. About last night." His face pales and he takes a deep breath before ranting.

"I'm so sorry, I don't know what I was thinking, I'm so so sorry you must've been so uncomfortable. I don't want to lose you. You're my best friend and I'm so sorry. I won't do any stupid shit like that again. I promise." I just stare at him and blink. Okay, so he doesn't have feelings for me. Good to know, I guess?

"Alex- it's fine, I swear. I get it, you were scared about the storm and I was there comforting you so I can see how that might have made you feel..things. But it was just a silly mistake, right?" He nods a little bit and looks at the floor. I put my hand on his chin and tilt his head up a bit so he's looking at me. "You don't have to be embarrassed, Alex. It's okay, I promise." He smiles a little bit and pulls me close so his face is buried in my chest. He mumbles a thank you and I hear him sniffle. I just smile and embrace him softly.

"So how about those pancakes?"

Laf's POV:

I've been wanting to ask herc out for a while now, since I knew I was pansexual actually, 14 to be precise. I know what you're thinking, 'Laf, you've liked him for three years, ask him out already!' Well it's really not the simple. Number one, no one knows his sexuality we just assume he's straight. Number two, even if he was attracted to men, who says he'd like me? And finally, would the rest of the group be okay with us dating? We try not to date anyone in the friend group. Allow me to explain.

About two years ago, John met this boy, Francis. He was older than us, he was 16 at the time and we were 14. Anyways, John introduced him to the group and he eventually started hanging out with all of us. It was all fine and fun and harmless, until 3 months later, when they started dating. John just slowly stopped hanging out with us until he stopped showing up to school all together. Me, Herc, and Peggy, being his bestfriends, went over to Francis' house to see what was going on. We knocked on his door and John answered, with bruises on his wrists and red marks on his neck.

We tried asking him what happened and he just started fiddling with his hands and stuttered out sorry excuses like 'Francis was a little too rough with my wrists, it's fine' or 'Some guy tried stealing from me and tried to choke me' We all clearly saw through his act and begged for him to come with us and come back to school. He refused, saying that he wanted to take a break from school, for his mental health. Then we heard an assertive voice barking orders at him. "What's taking so long! I'm waiting for you! Get it the bedroom, now!" We saw how John flinched at the voice and didn't take another thought before me and herc pushed past John and Peggy brought him to the car.

Well, we beat up Francis and called the cops on him who later arrested him for domestic violence. John explained to us how Francis would sometimes lose his temper if John didn't want to do something- mostly sexual -and grab him by the neck or wrists and force him to do the certain thing he wanted. Eventually after a couple months of therapy and medication, John came back to school and was "okay" mentally. So that's why we don't particularly try to date people in the friend group, but herc isn't like Francis. I'll have to talk to them later. At least I'll try.