Chapter 54

A/N: took forever to update but enjoy :)

Peggy's pov:

"Pegs!"

I turn around and see who yelled my name. I smile as I feel my face heat up. "Mari!" I yell back with a giggle. She chuckles and hugs me tightly. "I've missed you!" I exclaim with a small pout. She sighs and runs her hands through her curly hair. "Me too. My brother's trial has taken up, like, all of my time. But oh well, the dick deserves to go to jail. Speaking of, how's Laurens?" My smile drops at his name and a hop up on the bathroom counter.

"He's been...better. He's been through a lot, ya know? John was finally getting better from what happened when he was 14, but this situation ruined it. But, he went to this therapist, Dolley Payne, a couple days ago. He said it helped a lot. Getting stuff off his chest. Alex is really helping too, if John didn't haven't have him right now, I don't even want to think about it. But enough about that, are you excited for graduation?"

She nods solemnly through my rant and her smile pops back at the question and she nods excitedly. "Yes! I got my exception letter from King's college last week, which is amazing because you and your sisters are going there too!" I grin and nod happily. "I know, right! The rest of the gang is going too! It's gonna be great. You look great today, by the the way."

I add with a blush. For the record, she really does. She's wearing a red crop tank top with lace trim, a black jean jacket, black jeans, and maroon doc martens. She chuckles and blushes. "Thank you...you look amazing, per usual." I giggle as she takes her hands in mine, helping me off the counter. My face heats up even more and I look up at her.

"Do you wanna maybe, hang out tonight? Like as a date?" She asks smoothly. My face heats to a dark crimson shade. I can't seem to produce any words so I just nod rapidly. She smiles at me and chuckles. "Cool." She leans down slightly and pecks my cheek before walking off to her next class. I squeal and fan girl as I press my hand up to the spot she kissed. "YES!" I shout and bounce out into the hall.

Johns POV:

"..okay add a comma here, remove this exclamation mark and put a question mark instead, then you're all good!" Alex explains, helping me with the paper we're working on in class. I thank him with a peck on the lips and my teacher comes over to check our work.

He nods, impressed at Alex and i's work. I grin happily as Alex leans into my shoulder. I wrap an arm around his waist protectively and pull him closer, giving his hair a small kiss. He smiles up at me and leans up to give me a kiss on the lips. I sigh contently and relax into Alex, peaceful.

Suddenly my peace is crushed as Peggy bursts though the door with a wide grin on her face. Alex peeks his eyes open and looks over at the ball of yellow we call our friend. She spots us and skips over to us and makes herself at home, pulling up a chair to my desk.

"You will never guess what happened!" She claims, panting. "First of all, why are you so breathless, weirdo. Second, what happened?" I say. Alex snickers and looks over to peggy. She playfully glares at me and rolls her eyes.

"Meanie, anyways. Maria. Just. Asked. Me. To. A. Date!" She squeals, waving her hands in the air crazily, earning a few stares from fellow classmates. Alex coos. "That's so cute!" He says. I chuckle and nod. "Y'all are adorable. When in it?" I ask, my southern accent seeping out.

"I know, right! It's tonight!  I'm literally so, so, so, happy she asked me out because like I've liked her for this whole school year, and I didn't even say anything because I was too scared! Anyways, I'm supposed to be in drama right now. See you gays later! Oh wait, I'll be on a date!" She rants, giggling and smiling. Peggy sits up from the seat and apologizes to the teacher before leaving through the door she came.

"Good for her, I can tell she really likes Maria." Alex says with a smile. I agree with him and release my arms from his waist because my phone starts buzzing. It's a call from the local police station. Alex looks over, confused. I furrow my brows and raise my hand. "Yes Mr. Laurens?" The teacher responds. "Can I take this, please?" He sighs and nods. "Hurry up." I nod and thank him before stepping out into the hall.

"Hello?" I say, picking up the phone.
"May I speak to John Laurens?" The dispatcher asks. "This is him..." I respond wearily. "I regret to inform you your father Henry Laurens has been arrested for possessing and selling drugs to a minor. Please come down to the station later today for more information. I'm very sorry, sir." My breathe hitches in my throat as I try to form words. "O-okay. Thank you." I manage out, hanging up.

I shove my phone into my pocket and walk back into class with a blank look on my face. Alex looks concerned. "What happened?" He questions, worry lacing in his voice.

"My father was arrested."

A/N: I mean good riddance henry-I'm-an-adult-virgin-Laurens