Chapter 25

Alex's POV:

We pull away panting and I look up at John who's hand subconsciously slips into mine. "Alex...you just..kissed me?" I chuckle. "No because that totally wasn't me." I say sarcastically. He rolls his eyes and playfully pushes me. "I thought you didn't like me like that. Wait Alex..." I tilt my head at him. "Eliza..."

I flinch a little bit, remembering I'm supposed to like Eliza, not John. But I do like John. A lot.

"I'll..figure that out. It'll be fine. I'm just glad we finally...ya know." He smiles and chuckles a little. "M-me too." I smile up at him before I hear a knock at the door making us both flinch at the noise and turn around.

"Boys..? Dinner's ready. Head down when you're ready." John nods to me and I reply. "Okay, be right down Mrs. Washington!" I hear a faint 'okay' and take a deep breath. "We got this." John says with a little wink. I giggle and take his hand leading him to the door before he slips his hand away.

"The Washington's know about Eliza. We can't be very..ya know..gay in front of them until you break up with her." I nod sadly and look at the floor. "O-oh right.." John takes his hand and tips my head up gently. "We got this." He says again and kisses my nose softly. I giggle and we race down the stairs.

George  Washington's POV:

I pull into my carport and shut my car off. I sigh and grab my briefcase before heading to the front door. Another long day at the office for me. I stretch softly and open the front door. I smile as the smell of lasagna fills my nose. I sit my briefcase down and go over to kiss my wife on the cheek. I see Alexander at the dining room table with some other curly-haired fellow. He looks familiar, though.

"Food looks great. How was school, son?" I add the son at the end just because I know it annoys Alex. Also because I really do see him as my own flesh and blood. "Oh, hi Mr. Washington. School was good. This is my...friend John Laurens." He says, pointing to the boy next to him. John waves and I walk over to him and shake his hand.

"Laurens...as in Henry Laurens?" I say, Henry is one of my co-workers and the senator. John's expression falters a bit but he nods. "My father, yes." I nod and head over to place at the head of the table.

Johns POV:

My father. I still haven't told Alex about him. Or rather, what he does. How he parents me. If you could even call it that. He's never around, and when he is it's not very pleasant. Oh right. He's also the senator. If only people actually knew how he was. Maybe I wouldn't have to see him anymore.

Alex clearly noticed my tension because I feel him reach under the table and take my hand into his and rub a finger over my knuckles to sooth me. I smile softly at him and Washington looks at us quizzically from across the table. I avoid eye contact with him and pick at the lasagna on my plate.

"So....." Washington starts. "How long have you two known each other?" I look over at Alex to see if he knows when we met. I remember of course, but does he? "Um, about four months." Correct. I smile at him and nod when he looks unsure about his answer.

Mr. Washington nods. "Interesting..." I nod confused and offer a small smile.

Alex's POV:

"And what is your relationship with each other?"

I pause and glance up at Washington. I feel John staring holes into my soul so I try to answer but it just comes out as multiple stutters.

"O-oh, you k-know. F-friends. J-just really g-good friends. Best friends, um, a-actually." I hear John exhale next me sadly and I look at him with pity. He looks into my eyes and smiles sadly, meaning that he's fine. He clears his throat before looking over to Mr. Washington.

"Yep. Best friends, sir." Mr. Washington looks suspicious but shrugs it off. "The lasagna's great, Mrs. Washington. Thank you." John says in attempt to change the subject. I chuckle, happy that George is off my back. "Aw, thank you dear. Would you like to stay the night? Or is your father expecting you?"

John shakes his head and looks down at his hands which I realize have been in mine the entire time. "No, ma'am. My father isn't expecting me. If it's no trouble, yes, I would love to stay the night." She smiles at him and nods. I wonder why John never talks about his dad. Or his mom. I'll ask him about it later. But until then, this is Johns first time staying over as more than my friend. I don't really know what to call him, yet. I'll ask him about that later, too.