Chapter 45

3rd person POV:

"Are you okay?" John asks, nudging alex softly. "Hmm? Oh. I'm fine." John frowns a bit and turns his attention back to the road. "You seem a little out of it this morning, you sure everything's things okay?" Alex looks over to John and nods, smiling softly.

"I'm fine, really. It's just- your sister. I'm worried about her." John reaches over and grabs Alex's hand, keeping one on the steering wheel. "That's sweet of you, but she'll be okay. It's just a little cold. If you don't mind me asking...why are you so worried?" He questions, trying not to push it but wanting answers.

Alex averts his attention back to the window but still allows John to hold his hand. "N-no reason really. I just haven't had a very...good experience with sicknesses in the past." John nods sympathetically. "Family members?" Alex takes a sharp breath. "Yes. I don't really want to go into right now. That's okay, right?" John kisses Alex's cheek quickly. "Of course it's okay. You can tell me when you're ready." He says, pulling his hand away to put back on the steering  wheel. Alex sighs contently. 'He's so different from anyone else'

~~~

Johns POV:
T.W: homophobic slur

I'm sitting in the one class that Alex isn't in, art, when I get a ding on my phone. I ignore it until suddenly everyone else in the rooms phone goes off. Confused, I pick up my phone. My stomach drops to my feet when I see what it is.

An anonymous number had sent me, and apparently everyone else in this class, a picture. But not just any picture. A picture of Lee on top of Sam. Naked. I see everyone start whispering and people who don't have their phones looking over their friends shoulder.

"He's such a slut."

"I knew seabury was a little fruity, but lee?"

"What a fag."

"Fucking cocksucker."

I glare at the people who are talking shit and raise my hand.

"Yes, Mr. Laurens?"

"Can I use the restroom?"

She nods and I sit up from my seat. I leave the room but not without purposefully bumping into the boy who's being homophobic. I make my way down the hall and turn left into the boys bathroom. I hear unfamiliar voices shouting terrible words.

"The big bad Lee's been a fag all along, huh?"

"Please- ow, leave me alone." Lee.

"Get up! Handle your fights like a man."

"I wouldn't even consider him a man. Real men aren't fucking homos."

"Get the fuck off of me!" Lee whimpers.

"Come on boys. Clearly he can't fight. Maybe we should try seabury huh? You wouldn't mind, would you Lee?"

"L-leave him alone!" He shouts.

"Get off of him!" I yell, making it known that I'm here. The boys look over to me and let go of Lee, who scurries against the wall, knees brought up to his chest. I frown at the sight of him but turn my attention back to the boys.

"What? You gay for Lee too?" One of the boys ask, smirking like he did something. I grab him roughly by the collar and bring him up to my height. "Leave him the fuck alone and get the fuck out. I will not hesitate to beat you to a pulp." I let go of his collar and he drops back down to ground level. No words are said, the boys just leave the bathroom. I sigh and let down my tough act before going over to Lee.

"Are you okay?" I ask him. He just nods and wipes his eyes off, trying to seem his usual tough self. He reaches up to touch a cut on his lip and winces. "Here..I'll clean it off for you. Sit up here." I say, motioning toward the sink counter. "T-thanks." He says. I give him a small smile as he sits down.

"So how did this happen?" I question while I bring a wet paper towel to his wound. "W-well the number that sent out the photo is one of Reynolds' friends, Levi weeks. He must've took the picture though my window while me and Sammy were..you know. I think Reynolds got him to do it, as a punishment for...letting you go." Guilt pangs my heart and I squish my lips into a straight line. "Oh." Is all I can muster out.

He brought his hand up and rested it on my shoulder. "John it's fine, I needed to get you out of there." He muttered softly. I smiled at him and brought him into a hug. He immediately hugged back and pulled away after a moment. He started leaning in. What is he doing? What is going on? His lips were on mine. I froze. He pulled back. "Oh god. What's wrong with me. You're taken. Sam. Oh my god, oh my god." He muttered. I just sat there in shock, trying to form words. "I- I should go." Was the last thing I said before I left him alone with his thoughts.

Fück.