Chapter 4

Valeriu Ion Cazacu Point of View

"The preliminary tests came out satisfactory, Dr. Cazacu." Satisfactory? Nay, that wasn't the result I was looking for.

I read through the test results, skimming over the changes that can be made and finding out the right places for the change.

"Increase the second and third components by 0.3% and test them again." I ordered my assistant researcher, Dr. Patrick, handing him the results sheet.

He nodded wordlessly and went on to do as said. The virus we are developing will be a breakthrough in the medical industry if it turns out to be the way I planned.

Working in a large company is nothing great compared to be working as a senior researcher who creates and develops new medicines. My passion for my job knew no bounds when I'm determined to make impossible possible.

"Dr. Cazacu, why change only second and third components to amplify the results? Isn't the seventh component the base for every other material? So changing it would bring a balanced outcome, is it not?" Ace, one of the interns working under me questioned.

Scanning through the vast laboratory, I found Patrick looking through the lenses and implementing the trials again as notified.

The long line of eight interns stood attentively before me waiting for my answers. I smiled at their curiosity and sat on my table before them.

I should give it to this batch of interns; they are really determined to learn all they can. Unlike the past batches, this one has it all to make a great team of pharmacologists if trained in a right way.

"Tell me Ace, You are making pasta but in the process you added more salt than needed. What will you do?" To my question, Ace scratched his head hesitantly as he gave me an embarrassed smile.

"Uh, I don't know how to cook, Professor." This made me chuckle. Giving him thumbs up, I looked to the person next to him for the answer.

"You tell me, Specter and Lyla." The both looked at each other and turned back to me giving me a shy smile each.

Ah, these two are the first one to date from this batch. Young love indeed is amusing.

"I would add extra water or starch to balance it." Specter answered not giving Lyla a chance to reply.

"Why would you add starch and water? Isn't pasta the base ingredient? Pasta without pasta is not called pasta; so it should balance every other addition neatly."

"Indeed. But it is not made to balance the spices. Without those spices and other ingredients, no matter how much of pasta you add in the dish, it tastes awful in the end." Lyla continued to answer.

Hearing the answer, I shrugged at them silently telling them that they should know the answer by now.

Realization dawned unto them when they slowly started to nod their heads. "Every component is important in making a medicine. There is only very fine negligible line from turning a medicine to a poison which is determined by the utilization of components in right proportions. This is the reason why we, pharmacologists, go through such pain throughout the trial and error procedures."

The interns took out their small notepads and noted down everything I said. "Now all of you write a paper each on our ongoing research on medicinal virus to cure tumors. A brief proposal with a column of your understanding on the study and the ideas you want to share. You are due to present the paper by the coming Tuesday."

The group of kids grumbled at constrained time limit; however they walked away to finish their assignments.

My smile widened looking at the new batch of kids who are so eager to learn a lot all at the same time. They are competitive in nature, still helpful to each other.