𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍

IT TOOK TWO MINUTES TO FIND OUT WHERE Rueben was being held and how easy it would be to get him out

Rayne returned to the common area, taking note of the fact that nothing had changed. Mason was still slouching in his chair, face in his phone, while Isaac lay sprawled across his lap, sleeping. She'd intended to update them on her new visitor's status, but they looked too comfy to bother.

Her eyes angled around the room, and she realized then as she stared at the lingering patrol men and speckled higher officers, something so obvious, she should have seen from the beginning.

What was Rueben's motive?

Based on the way Jonah treated Rueben during the arrest, it wasn't a reach to assume there was bad blood between them, and bad blood usually constitutes some type of hatred. The way Rueben talked about his sister and her brother—it just didn't make sense, and proved something ulterior was at play.

And she was determined to find out what it was.

"Rayne? Are you alright?"

Mason's voice coined her from her mind, bringing her back to the present. She looked around, finding her feet had moved without command, and she was now standing in the middle of the lobby.

"Yes, I'm okay," she moved toward him.

She plopped down in the seat next to him, careful not to disturb Isaac.

"—I was just thinking about Rueben."

"Ooh!"

"Ew," she grimaced, "Not in that way."

"Sure," he teased, "As if Rueben isn't a hot piece of ass."

"Get. Help," Isaac begged from his lap.

"I just don't see him that way," she answered, bypassing the sexual commentary.

Mason let out a dramatic sigh and fanned his nails in a way that said, I'm only pretending to believe you. A small burn in her cheeks warmed her blood as he tutted and gave her a once-over with those blindingly bright eyes of his.

He must have seen something because he whispered:

"Liar."

"Believe what you want."

Still, she turned away from the heat of his gaze, focusing on the peeling tiles on the ceiling instead. Truth was, of course, she thought Rueben was attractive—she wasn't blind, but she also wasn't stupid. It would be reckless to get involved with the mafia heir more than she already had, and something told her that once (if!) she crossed that line, there'd be no turning back.

"Leave her alone, prick," Isaac popped an eye open.

"I'm just messing with her," he rolled his eyes, "Don't you agree, Ray?"