𝐎𝐍𝐄 𝐇𝐔𝐍𝐃𝐑𝐄𝐃 𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘-𝐄𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓

𝗔 couple hours passed after his conversation with his roommates and the whole ordeal with Auden being in his house happened

𝗔 couple hours passed after his conversation with his roommates and the whole ordeal with Auden being in his house happened. Now, the house was quiet, and he was the only one awake.

Rayne had still not come home yet.

He squirmed on the couch. He hadn't meant to stay up this long to wait for her, it had just happened. Regardless, even if he was in his room, he wouldn't be able to sleep; his anxiety was rising by the second. It would be fine if he didn't have so many scares with her not being where she was supposed to be in the past, but since everything with Christian happened, her appearance has kept him on his toes.

Rueben stared at the clock on his phone; it was three in the morning now. There was still no text messages from her, and all the ones he sent her were left unanswered.

He wondered if her distance was because of how he treated her this morning, or if it was because she was genuinely hurt somewhere. Either way, both situations would be his fault. If she was hurt, it was his fault for not being more protective of her, for pushing her away with his own insecurities. And if she was simply distancing herself because of his panic attack this morning, it was still his fault. He knew that his lame apology would have no effect on her. He practically trapped her with hearing him out by forcing the 'sorry' on her in the courtroom.

He wouldn't have forgiven her if the roles were reversed either.

He can't exactly blame her.

And it didn't help that what he felt for her was on more than a friendship level.

Sure, he would react this way if he knew any of his friends were in trouble or out at a weird time, but it was different with Rayne. With her, his feelings were so weighted that a single misstep from her normal schedule – like this one – threw off his entire day – his entire being.

He just wanted to make sure she was okay.

Rueben looked down at his phone again; he watched the blue line blink over and over again as he contemplated drafting another message to send to her. Even if it was pointless, it was better than doing nothing. Maybe this time she would answer.

No, he groaned and tossed his phone to the side.

He placed his hands on his face and rubbed up and down over and over again. He had never felt like this towards another person – not even his ex. Something about this woman had him pinned to the ground. He would gladly kiss the floor she walked on if she asked him too.

He thought back to a couple hours ago when he sat on the couch with Isaac. After he finished asking him if he was okay with Auden, he switched back to discussing the question he asked earlier.

"Do you love her?"

The question stunned him, and left him silent.

He wished the answer was as easy as a yes or a no.