𝐎𝐍𝐄 𝐇𝐔𝐍𝐃𝐑𝐄𝐃 𝐒𝐈𝐗𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍

𝗛e pushed the ignition button of his cool grey Mercedes – Benz, turning it off as he pushed open the driver's door

𝗛e pushed the ignition button of his cool grey Mercedes – Benz, turning it off as he pushed open the driver's door. He stepped out onto the dirt driveway and fixed his outfit slightly, re – tucking his gun before slamming the door and heading towards the house. He half – jogged towards it when the front door swung open; Rayne rushed from the doorway. She kept her head down low; he couldn't see her facial expression well, but it seemed evident she was in a mood.

"Hey Ray!" he said anyway, raising a hand to block the sun.

"Hey," she answered, monotone, not looking at him as she walked to her car.

"Are you okay?"

"Fine," she said flatly, opening her door and entering.

Mason raised his eyebrows as he looked back at the house. A couple seconds later, Rueben came running down the steps, calling out her name. Distracted for a moment, he jumped back, avoiding the rear of Rayne's Audi as she put it in reverse. Rueben slowed his steps and grabbed his forehead as he made his way to his side.

"Fuck!" he shouted, watching her drive away.

"Oo, someone's in trouble," he laughed.

"Shut the fuck up Mason," Rueben rolled his eyes, giving him a playful shove, "Where have you been?"

"I told you last night I was going over a friend's," he explained as they walked back towards the house.

"Cutting it close huh?"

"Yeah, I didn't mean to."

"It's cool – besides, the real question is: did you get laid?" Rueben asked, elbowing his side.

"Sorta," he smiled, squinting in the sun.

"That's my man," he laughed loudly, throwing an arm over his shoulder.

Mason turned to him after a long pause, "So what happened with you and Ray?"

Rueben's face fell, and he sighed deeply as he looked at the ground, "I may have let my emotions get the best of me; I panicked over Willow being the witness and said some things I didn't mean. I was a real asshole – she doesn't deserve that. Especially not from me," his voice trailed off.

"Well I'm glad you can admit when you've fucked up," he answered, pulling open the front door, "—and you better apologize to her the first chance you get, or I'll punch you for her."

"Since when were you two buddy – buddy?"

"Eh, we're not as close as you think to be honest, but I think she's really cool," Mason closed the door behind them, "She's done a lot for you, which has earned her a lot of respect in my book; and I don't know – I kind of have this overwhelming feeling to protect her."

"Well, you're definitely not singular about that."

"So, I repeat, you better apologize."

Rueben nodded as they walked into the kitchen; Mason jogged towards the fridge and pulled it open, feeling famished. He spotted a plate of leftover homemade waffles and a smile grew wide on his face. He grabbed them and placed it on the counter, peeling the plastic wrap off.