𝐄𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓𝐘-𝐄𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓

𝗛e stood on the sidewalk with a hand in his pocket, the other pressing his phone to his ear

𝗛e stood on the sidewalk with a hand in his pocket, the other pressing his phone to his ear. The air scanned his face smoothly in its invisible current as he gazed down at the pavement. The red and blue of the sirens stained the sand colored ground with each flash. He didn't look up as the car containing Christian departed down the road; it's sirens momentarily blocked the voice coming from his phone. He blinked steadily, unable to get the feeble image of Rayne out of his head.

"Rueben?" Isaac spoke through the receiver.

"Huh – what?" he breathed out, remembering he was still on the phone, "what were you saying?" 

"I asked how Rayne is doing."

"Oh," he looked up and watched the paramedics push her stretcher into the ambulance, "she's okay for what she just went through. She lost a lot of blood but other than that, no life – threatening injuries."

"That's such good news!" he exclaimed.

"Yeah. It is," he said briefly.

He continued to look in the direction of the emergency vehicle. He studied the paramedics from a distance as they hooked Rayne up to multiple tubes and pieces of equipment, "—I just don't understand why she didn't tell me what was going on," he said automatically, not realizing he was thinking out loud.

"It's pretty clear why," Isaac responded, "she's the suffer – in – silence type. You know it as well as I. It's obvious that she struggles with internal conflict – that's probably due to some type of trauma, likely childhood related. If you remember the first time Rayne met Mason, she flipped on him just for being touched randomly. I don't think I need to remind you that Matteo was just as jumpy. The two of them went through something we don't know about – and so we shouldn't expect them to be open books like the rest of us."

Rueben stared at the ground again, rolling a pebble back and forth under the sole of his Converse, "I know. I noticed it that day as well when I calmed her down. It worked the same for Matteo."

"Exactly. She probably just struggles with trust; I don't know. I don't want to assume anything, but it's evident that keeping quiet has nothing to do with you; it's all got to lie within herself and the way she thinks."

"I know you're right; I just wish I could have been there for her."

"You were dude. It was you she came to that night after your family dinner. It was you that calmed her down with Mason and it was you that talked her down today."

"Yeah," he frowned, noticing an approaching shadow blocking the faded sunlight on his feet. He didn't move his position, just slowly raised his head, locking eyes with Jonah. He didn't say anything, just titled his head to the side, indicating he wanted to speak with him. Rueben narrowed his eyes, unsure of whether to agree to his proposition, but relaxed them a minute later. There was nothing ulterior in Jonah's eyes.

"Listen, I gotta go Zac. I'll see you later at home."

"Alright. See you. Be safe."

He pulled his phone from his face and clicked end, slipping it into his back pocket afterwards.

"Jonah," he spoke, straightening his posture. He started back into his foe's eyes, investigating the damage he had placed on him. A black ring laid under his eye on his cheek bone; there were cuts on his nose and lips – Rueben figured he ought to look similar ... maybe a little less.

"Rueben," was all he said.

His mouth twitched, making it seem like he was attempting to further his statement, but after a moment passed, his jaw clenched shut.

Rueben scoffed, annoying that he was wasting his time once more. He brushed past Jonah, making his way towards the ambulance, when a quick grab to the wrist stopped him in his tracks. He looked down to see Jonah holding him in place.

"I'm sorry," he began as Rueben non – aggressively pulled his hand from his grasp. He wrapped his arms through the other, resting them on his chest as he waited for the rest of his words. However, nothing else was coming; the sincerity in Jonah's eyes forced him to get over it.

"I'm sorry too," he admitted finally, dropping his arms.

Jonah exhaled loudly, nodding as Rueben turned his head away. He watched the glow of the sun finally fade behind the horizon and he knew; things would be different from now on. With Jonah, with Rayne – with everything.

Today was way too long.

"Listen," Jonah brought his attention back, "—meet me at my office later tonight around eleven. Don't ask questions. Just be there."

Rueben gazed through the hair that covered his eyesight, watching the back of Jonah get further and further away from him. He blinked, not fully grasping what he was getting at. Why did he have to meet him? And why did he want him to?

After a moment, he shook his head and let it go; he'd get the answer later. He jogged towards the ambulance as the paramedics began to close the door.

"I'm riding along," he stated, grabbing onto the metal handle, and hoisting himself up.

He looked at Rayne as he made his way to his seat. He investigated the machines around him as they beeped to the steady rhythm of her vital signs. Her small body shook with each inhale and exhale; she was so frail right now. She had a neck brace on, and was propped up on her side, careful not to apply pressure to the glass shards that were still stuck in her head.

He winced as he reached for her hand; he wrapped his fingers between hers. The paramedics had informed him earlier – after heavy convincing – that they were surprised she stayed awake for as long as she did; she overexerted her body with the power of her natural adrenaline.

Her injuries included a possible hairline fracture in her left eye socket, her right ankle, and one of her ribs. She had multiple lacerations on her cheeks and head and possible blunt force trauma. The paramedics told him that brain damage was unlikely, but still on the table as possible side effects. As she breathed quietly through the oxygen mask, he couldn't help but recognize her spirit and how strong she truly was.

He reached over with his free hand and pulled the blanket over her a bit more, hoping to give her more comfort in her forced slumber. Her fingers twitched in his palm and he watched to see if she would wake. His hope disappeared after a long, few seconds passed; it was just her muscles spasming. Still, he gave her a soft smile. He brushed a hand through her hair before resting it upon her cheek. He would do everything in his power to give this fragile girl a reason to love the world again.

He leaned over and kissed her forehead gently.

I would make sure of it.