𝐄𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓𝐘-𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑

𝙏en minutes

𝙏en minutes.

Ten minutes until the trial began and she was nowhere to be seen. He was on his feet at this point, slowly pacing back and forth between a few steps. He needed to figure out what the hell was going on with her. At first he thought, maybe she just bailed, but that was unlikely. His family was the only, even if small, lead to where her brother went. Rayne wouldn't jeopardize that.

Rueben looked up, watching the crowd on the top floor begin to fill all of the viewing seats. The courtroom had plenty of seats specifically for the public. He knew that she wasn't going to be up there – but he scanned the rows anyways.

No ... no ... not that row either ...

He gave up, lowering his gaze and shaking his head.

Something is off.

He moved his head from side to side, checking out the judge's bench. Standing before it was Auden and Jonah; they looked engaged in an important conversation. He let out a long breath. If Rayne wasn't in the crowd, nor near the Judge, then it meant she really wasn't here. He cracked the knuckles on his fingers in an effort to calm himself; she wouldn't bail on me, would she?

No. That was out of the question.

Rayne wasn't that type of person.

He tugged on his hair as he pulled the chair out and sat down once more. There was a feeling — that same one he felt in his closet this morning, that was screaming at him. Something wasn't going the way it was supposed to. The two of them had worked so hard together to get his name cleared; even if she was planning on leaving him hanging, she would have done it two months ago.

So where the hell are you?

Rueben rubbed his face aggressively. Something is fucking wrong — he knew it. Everything about this situation was the exact opposite of who Rayne was and how she behaved.

He reached for his phone that sat on the table, returning to the call log. His three previous attempts to phone her ended up in nothing but an immediate voicemail. Still, he clicked her contact again, pressing his cell to his ear, listening — praying she would answer this time.

One ring.

Hey! You've reached Rayne Miller. I can't come to —

Rueben clicked off and slammed his phone against the table. Fuck!

Sitting here, he felt so useless. What he needed to do was confirm his suspicions, but that was hardly possible with the consecutive looks Jonah shot at him every couple of minutes.

At this point, he'd do anything to leave. Even if it cost him real jail time. Something was up with Rayne, and he wasn't going to ignore the feeling in his gut any longer. It didn't matter if this ended up being what he thought again; her actually disappearing on him.