𝐒𝐈𝐗𝐓𝐘-𝐓𝐖𝐎

𝗛e pushed the door to his office open and waited for Rayne to slip through the entrance before he followed as well

𝗛e pushed the door to his office open and waited for Rayne to slip through the entrance before he followed as well. Emmet was standing in front of his desk, leaning against it; his arms were tightly crossed together. Rueben had no idea what he had to talk to him about; he was being overly vague. All he knew was that he needed to get Rayne and that there was a box beside him.

"We're back," he spoke finally, closing the door behind them.

"Finally," he breathed, turning, and grabbing the box. He wasted no time as he pushed it into Rueben's direction, offering him to take it, "In here you'll find some disturbing things. Please be aware of that before you open it and start blindly grabbing things. I already made that mistake."

Rueben glanced down and noticed the color had completely drained from Rayne's face; there was also a slight shake in her fingertips. He wanted to reach over and squeeze her hand – let her know that she's not alone in this and that he was right here with her, that things would be okay. But he didn't. He knew she was strong and capable of getting through this on her own. She didn't need him, nor did she need his reassurance.

He shook his head and approached Emmet, taking the box from his hands. The box itself was light and airy and almost felt like there was nothing inside of it. Still, he turned and made his way back to his red – headed companion. She was standing in the same spot; she hardly looked like she was breathing.

"You up for this?" he asked her.

She nodded. Nothing else came after.

He watched as she lifted her shaky hands and gently undid the boxing while he held it up for her. Inside were contents that his father had already seen before so – maybe it's not that bad. But then again, it was Emmet. He's not the one to hide anything.

Rueben cringed as Rayne pulled out another polaroid. This entire time that's what they've been taunted with and he knew, just by her expression – it was of Matteo. He silently cursed in his head, wishing that he had made her hold the box while he emptied out its contents. Sure, he had made her look at the first picture of Matteo incapacitated, but that didn't mean he wanted it to become routine. It was sickening to have her constantly view the pain her brother was enduring through photographs.

It wasn't long before her eyes grew distant and she faded into that lonely place she went too when things got rough. He felt his heart shrink – I wish I could help you. But again, he knew he couldn't. If Rayne needed him, she would make it apparent. And so, he made the decision to not interrupt her.

Instead, he focused on the remaining contents in the box. A flash of red passed across the length of it as he tilted it. He immediately knew what it was and felt his eye twitch in anger. However, it wasn't until he read the taunting note pasted on the bottom of the box did he completely snap.

"What the fuck is this?!" he shouted, spinning, and facing Emmet.

His face was plain and no expression was shown, "Take a breather and relax Rueben. Getting angry will only prevent you from having rational thoughts."