𝐅𝐈𝐅𝐓𝐘-𝐒𝐈𝐗

𝗧he ground in which she laid upon was cold, damp; her fingers felt like they were beginning to prune from so much contact

Rayne blinked and pushed up off the moist dirt. The air was chilly, and grim – and the sky was dark. Not even the moon was available for lighting. Her eyes took another moment before they adjusted to the darkness and her surroundings came into place.

Where am I?

The area that she found herself in wasn't a recognizable one. She shakily climbed to her feet, trying to at least understand what the area she was in was. Trees and brush laid scattered messily, and undone around her. She heard running water nearby and assumed a river was somewhere close. She took a couple steps forward, sinking her, suddenly, bare feet into the base of what, she assumed, was a forest floor. Arms hugging her body – she felt the hairs on the back of her neck stick up.

How did I get here...?

In the blink of an eye, a twig snapping behind her caused Rayne to lose all sensibility – all rationality. Unknowing of where she was, was a better option than staying and finding out who was accompanying her. She took off in a mad dash, completely blind to her surroundings. The coldness of the air made her breathing ragged, but she didn't care. It was fight or flight – and her body had chosen.

The dark, wooded area seemed to work against her as branches slapped her face and fallen leaves stung the undersides of her feet. Scared out of her mind – frazzled by how the hell she ended up here – she mis – stepped and found herself flying down a hill.

She landed on the ground with a harsh thud; a large rock hitting the side of her face broke the fall. Stars lit up in her eyes as she continued to tumble down it. It felt like ages before she came to a full stop; she landed face first into a murky puddle.

Rayne pushed her head up weakly with her arms. Whimpering, she sat on the back of her heels and moved her wet hair behind her ears. Her hands were shaking while the rest of her body shivered. She felt lost. Lost literally and figuratively.

Why am I here? How did I get here? Why am I so afraid?

It wasn't until she looked back down in the puddle, in the hardly visible reflection – did she finally let out a blood curdling scream. She fell backwards, crying out as she noticed her arms and legs were heavily bandaged. Bruises lined her stomach; it hurt to blink which signified a probable black eye.

What happened to me??

I need to find a way out of here!

Confused, she climbed to her feet once more; her legs shook underneath the weight of her body. She had no memory of how she got here and why she was so injured; and trying to determine it, made her brain ting with a sharp pain.

Rayne glanced around her and took in her surroundings once more. She was no longer in the forest she had just ran through. Now, she stood, ankles deep in what looked like a marsh. Mud sunk between her toes and the murky water sent shivers further across her body.