𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐘-𝐓𝐖𝐎

OVER A MONTH LATER𝗥ayne sat at her desk, feet kicked up, relaxing as she stared at the profile of Lilly in her case file

OVER A MONTH LATER
𝗥ayne sat at her desk, feet kicked up, relaxing as she stared at the profile of Lilly in her case file. A month has passed and not much has happened. In her personal life, and case – wise.

She had spent Christmas alone and at the graveyard visiting her mother. It was her routine after she had lost Matteo so many years ago. There was no one else in her life she wanted to spend a holiday of gifting with besides the one who gifted her life. Even if she'd never met her mother, a part of her felt connected to her. And so, she'd spent her day sitting in front of her grey tombstone, sipping hot coffee, and decorating her mother's area with her favorite flowers: Zephyr Lily (which she only knew after reading one of her journals; her father refused to talk about Nadine).

She blinked, continuing to stare at the file she had practically memorized at this point. She had gone over it more times than she could count within the last month. Nothing has stood out to her – nothing that would help prove Rueben's innocence – nothing that would solve anything really. The same went for the police station and the detectives working the case. It seemed there was a heavy backup at the toxicology lab and results have been delayed. Because of that, Rueben had been stationary. Chief Myles, Agent Peréz and Detective Dickhead copied such actions. The case couldn't be brought in front of a trial judge until those results were in. A part of her felt it was a good thing because it allowed Rueben and his family more time to process everything – but the other half of her felt sorry for him. It wasn't hard to guess that anticipation is the last thing he needs. 

A giggle coming from the open window beside her forced her to look up from her studying.

She rolled her eyes as she spotted Chloe and Rowan rocking their shoulders against each other's, "Can the two of you keep it down over there? Some of us are actually trying to work."

The pair turned to look at her, their mouths still echoing in laughter. It warmed her heart to see the two of them grow so close in such a short amount of time. Especially for Chloe's sake. She was the youngest person in this building and so to have someone like a friend (or more), to her, made Rayne happy. Not to mention, with their bubbly personalities, work felt bearable.

"We are working, thank you very much," Rowan replied matter – of – factly.

"Do it without flirting."

"We aren't flirting."

"—and I was born yesterday," she countered, returning her vision back to the file.

"Ignore him," Chloe offered, her pink hair bouncing from her high ponytail, "—we're focusing."

Rayne sat up straighter in her desk, lowering her feet to the ground. As much as she enjoyed their company, she knew she wasn't going to get any work done. Not that there was anything anyways, she groaned to herself, tossing the file down.