𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐄𝐓𝐘-𝐎𝐍𝐄

SIX WEEKS LATER

SIX WEEKS LATER...
It has been six weeks since the incident with her ex – boyfriend that almost cost her her life; five weeks and four days since she had woken up in the hospital, unaware of where she was and what had happened, suffering from temporary amnesia. She was met with a sprained ankle, a fractured eye socket and multiple bruised ribs.

When she had regained consciousness, it was like she was still at the penthouse and she needed to fight – but once her eyes laid on Rueben, who was holding her hand, sleeping beside her, everything relaxed instantly. She remembered that he was there for her – day in and day out.

Since then, she has been staying with him at his house. At first, due to her pride and independent tendencies, she slept in the guest room; she didn't want to cause a fuss for him. However, after many nights of nightmares and waking him up regardless, she ended up sleeping with him in his room. She didn't know why – or maybe she did and didn't want to admit it – but something about his presence relaxed her; he took away her nightmares and helped her easily fall asleep. The way he held her throughout the night, like he was protecting her, calmed her so much, she yearned for it constantly. She was eternally grateful for him – he had the kindness, most selfless soul, and she often wondered how she could ever repay him.

And finally, after a long month and a half, today was the day of the trial – part two.

Rayne blinked at her reflection in the mirror – evading her memories of the past six weeks. She glanced down at her ankle and moved it around in small motions; it was the quickest to heal (mostly because Rueben refused to let her walk on it). The bruising had gone away on her ribs, but she still struggled to breathe sometimes; injuries like those are tricky; there's no direct antidote. The doctors had removed the stitches in her head (finally) a couple days ago; she had been thankful they didn't really cut her hair off while fixing her up. The only thing left to heal was her fractured eye socket. The purple and black coloring had gone and now it appeared as a pink splotch on her face. It was going to take a couple more months for the bone to repair itself; she was just going to have to be careful.

She pressed the concealer pad to her eye bags, continuing to cover her face in makeup. As much as she tried not to, in moments when she was alone, all she could do was think about Christian and what happened that day; and also to contemplate her own decisions. She had seen all the signs within his behavior – and experienced them too – but she still chose to ignore them; she had always been the type of person to hand out second chances like candy – and that personality trait finally bit her in the ass.

Pressing the lip liner to her mouth, drawing on a dark, red color, she remembered how much of a wake – up call the past weeks have been. Since helping Rueben with his trial, she had subconsciously taken her eye off the ball. Finding Matteo was supposed to be her priority – it was her purpose for working with him in the first place, but she has been slacking. They have made no efforts since the conversation with Emmet to find him, and she couldn't help letting the guilt eat her up. All she could think about was how Matteo would never push her away like this.