𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐘-𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍

TW: TRIGGERING THEMES

𝗥ayne laid next to Matteo, laughing, and pointing at the cartoons displayed in bright colors across his new cell phone screen

𝗥ayne laid next to Matteo, laughing, and pointing at the cartoons displayed in bright colors across his new cell phone screen. The two of them had been left alone for the entire day today as their father had Court today. Their father was a lawyer and that job came with certain benefits – like for instance, giving them days alone to themselves. In hindsight though, Rayne believed his job was ironic. Someone who defends the hurt when he causes so much himself made her lose faith in the justice system. Maybe that's what fueled her desires to become one herself. To help re – balance that statistic.

"This one is my favorite," Matteo said, gesturing to a stunning, strong female character.

Rayne smiled back at him, "I like her too."

Her brother beamed back at her momentarily before turning his head back towards the screen. She herself however, continued to look at him. He was her other half. Her in another gender. The two of them had just turned sixteen and because of it, they were granted cell phones. It kind of pissed her off when Carson handed them to them last night – considering he only ever gave them presents when he wanted to earn their trust. Like that'll ever happen.

She exhaled. There were many things in life she wished for. One of them being the ability to live in a made – up, imaginary dream world like the cartoon her brother gleefully stared at. Instead, she was forced into this reality – hardly surviving her father's abusive tendencies alongside the one person she knew she could let herself be vulnerable with.

The front door slamming loudly snapped her back into her headspace. She jumped in place, feeling her brother shift next to her. He immediately reached over and pressed the power button to his cell, making the display die out slowly. They exchanged looks as they sat in idle silence, holding their breaths, hoping that their father made no distressing noises. Rayne was about to let go of her breath moments later when the sound of bottle shattering sounded from the direction of the kitchen.

Shit. A bad day at work.

Her father was notorious for taking his anger out on them.

"Rayne! Matteo! Come over here!"

Matteo hopped from the bed quickly, not hesitating as he rushed towards the door, closed it and locked it. He grabbed the chair from his desk across the room and placed it under the handle. A hand raised to his mouth and he slowly dragged it down as he turned and looked back at her.

She realized her face must have been showcasing her fear, as he marched over to her. He knelt next to the bed and grabbed her hands, "No," he breathed; his identical, golden eyes displayed a fiery glow, "I won't let him hurt you Ray. That barrier should buy us some time," he looked towards the door, "I'm pretty sure he's still in the kitchen."

Rayne licked her dry lips, "Is he drunk already?" she asked; her voice came out squeakier than expected.

"I'm not sure. I don't hear anything."