𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐘

TW: TRIGGING THEMES

𝗔fter Rayne had exchanged shoes with Rueben once more, she allowed him to walk her inside of the building

𝗔fter Rayne had exchanged shoes with Rueben once more, she allowed him to walk her inside of the building. He opened the front door for her, waved to the desk workers and didn't stop escorting her until she was standing in front of the penthouse accessed elevators.

"You didn't have to walk me all the way you know," she spoke sheepishly.

"Yeah, I did," he pocketed his hands, "—I'm a gentleman Red."

"You are, yes," she smiled.

"Thank you, for coming with me tonight," he spoke, changing the subject, "It was really nice to have someone else by my side. I don't think I would have lasted the night if you hadn't been there."

"You give me too much credit."

"I'm serious Rayne."

"I know," she whispered.

They stood there for a second, awkwardly, "Well I should head up," she cleared her throat.

"Yeah! – right," he mumbled, "I'll see you when I see you?"

"Sure."

He nodded briefly before slightly waving and making his leave. Rayne exhaled and pressed the back of her hand to her forehead, closing her eyes. Thank God I'm finally alone.

She turned and pressed the 'up' button on the elevator and waited for half a minute before it dinged, and the golden doors opened for her. She entered the penthouse code and took the time to lean against the cold bars of the interior.

Her thoughts began to flood her brain. She reached up and touched the area where Rueben had kissed her, before allowing her fingertips to guide her freed hair behind her ear. The kiss had been so random, so surprising, that it stunned her. She had stood in place, unable to fix her composure like an idiot.

It couldn't have been what she thought it was. It couldn't have been anything more than Rueben just acting on impulse – acting on the sensitivity he felt throughout the night. It had been interesting to say the least and she just happened to be there. He had only kissed her because she'd provided him emotional support tonight, right...?

Yet, at the same time, she couldn't help but dwell on it. All she could think about was the fire the ignited under her body the moment his soft lips connected with the skin of her temple. The way his hot breath tickled her ears. The way his fingertips momentarily brushed past her own when he offered to hold her shoes for her. It was a foreign feeling – one she hadn't got before. Not even with Christian, her own boyfriend. It alarmed her. Scared her. Made her want to run away from him and never look back, and at the same time, stay and indulge in it.

The elevator opening relieved her of her zoned-out state. What am I thinking? There is no way there is anything between Rueben and I. We are business partners. I love my boyfriend. I love Christian. He makes me feel just as good... she frowned at that final thought as she slipped the key into the hole.