𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘-𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐄𝐄

Rueben dragged his feet as he walked with his head down into the kitchen

Rueben dragged his feet as he walked with his head down into the kitchen. He had his hand gently running through his wet hair as he moved slowly. After Elle had left, he felt like needed another shower. Sitting around all day made him feel icky – not because he was spending time with his step – mom, but in general. He also had an enormous amount of anxiety bubbling in his lower stomach all day because of tomorrow's events and showers always helped him calm down. He just figured if he ignored the fact that he's going on trial for his sister's murder tomorrow, he wouldn't have to face it.

Wishful thinking.

"Well don't you look like a mess," a familiar voice sounded in front of him.

He titled his head up slightly and clenched his jaw as he saw Rayne sitting on his kitchen island, legs crossed over the other, swinging them back and forth. Her wavy hair hung down her shoulders nicely, and her golden eyes shined in his direction.

She was dressed casually with a black jacket, black jeans, and a tight, red tank top. Her normal white ankle socks and Converse decorated her feet. Her lips were pursed at him, and her keys were around her pointer finger; she swung them around and around. She shook her head slightly, moving her red hair out of her eyes and back behind her shoulders.

She looks so beautiful doing absolutely nothing.

"I think I deserve brownie points for that amazing parallel from the words you told me when we first met," she raised her eyebrows; the corners of her lips upturned.

He stood up straight and walked over to her, leaning against the island, beside her. With Rayne sitting on top of it, and him standing, they were practically at eye level.

"Haha, so funny," he rolled his eyes. In truth, it was a little funny.

"I thought so," she replied, putting a hand to her chin, pretending to think. She laughed at her own gesture and turned towards him, making immediate eye contact.

She was about to say something else, but stopped mid – sentence, letting her mouth sit slightly open. She placed her hand back onto the granite top, leaning against it; it moved her a tad closer to him. As Rueben stared into her amber eyes, he felt himself holding in a breath. She was closer to him than she had ever been before. If he gave into his desires, all he would have to do is tilt his face forward, and he could finally taste her.

They didn't move for a moment, and without thinking, he let his eyes drop to her lips. They were so full, so kissable – I want you so badly.

When he realized what he was doing, he looked back up, only to be shocked to see a change in Rayne's eyes. They weren't so soft now, but more intimidating. Like she was daring him to give into his thoughts. It left him perplexed.

Are you thinking the same thing as me, Red?

"Shocker," he said, finally answering her and looking away.

She has a boyfriend. Of course she's not.

Rueben stared at the ground for a minute before he decided that move was incredibly middle school, and he returned his attention back to Rayne. She was no longer looking at him, but instead focused on spinning her keys around her finger. Still, he could see the faintest red decorate her cheeks.

He closed his mouth. She was probably just embarrassed.

Yeah. That's it. Embarrassed ...

"You need to quit rolling your eyes at me," she said after another minute, breaking the ice.

"And why is that?"

"Because I said so. Obviously."

Rueben raised his hands in surrender, "I'm so sorry princess."

She slapped him lightly on his left shoulder, smiling to herself, but she didn't complain. Normally, she wasn't keen to his nicknames. It was a new development in their friendship.

"Y'know, not that I mind or anything, but why are you here?"

She finally turned back and looked at him, "I'm taking you out."

He shook his head, chuckling under his breath. When she talked in her 'matter of fact' voice, it always amused him. Something about it had the opposite effect on him, then what she wanted.

"Sorry to break it to you," he answered, re – joining the conversation, "but in case you've forgotten, I'm still on house arrest," he wiggled his leg.

Rayne jumped off the island and stood a few inches in front of him, "Wrong. I spoke to the Judge yesterday in secrecy and he agreed to turning your monitor off until midnight tonight. However, because of that, I am now responsible if anything illegal is to happen. If you do any law breaking thing, I will be held at the same level of accountability as you," she smoothed out her jacket and smiled through an eyeroll, "—but I trust you enough to know you wouldn't let that happen."

Rueben couldn't help but let a childish smile cross his cheeks.

She trusts me.

He pushed himself off the island, standing up straight, "Let's go then."

Rayne took one look at him and scowled, "Not until you change."

Rueben looked down at his outfit. He had on a pair of grey shorts. A white t – shirt covered his abdomen and he had ice-cream socks that went up halfway on his calves. They poked out of his Birkenstock sandals that he liked to wear around the house. To him, his outfit was comfortable and casual.

"What's wrong with it?"

"What isn't wrong with it," she countered.

"That was rude," he pointed at her.

"I think your sense of fashion died the minute you were put on house arrest."

"That was ruder!" he exclaimed.

"I prefer the term honest," she smiled.

"Yeah, yeah, whatever," he replied, waving her off, "I'll change – but only because I want to and not because you told me to."

Rayne laughed loudly as he walked back towards his room. He smiled widely as he looked over his shoulder, watching her enjoy her own sense of humor.

Yeah. I'm falling hard.

 I'm falling hard