𝐎𝐍𝐄 𝐇𝐔𝐍𝐃𝐑𝐄𝐃 𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐄

𝗛e shoved a mouthful of rice into his mouth as he sat cross legged on his bed

𝗛e shoved a mouthful of rice into his mouth as he sat cross legged on his bed. After coming inside earlier, Rayne and himself had taken turns on taking a warm shower. He sat wearing a pair of white shorts and a loose black t - shirt; the towel he used to dry his hair was still hanging around his neck.

Rayne sat before him with her knees pressed to her chest, eating quietly. He had given her another one of his shirts to sleep in, and she had cocooned herself in it; she pulled it over her legs. He smiled as he looked at her, chewing; she really kissed me.

"I have a question," he spoke, swallowing.

She looked up as she pushed her fork into her mouth again. Her hair hung shamelessly, beautifully, in her face, half – dry, half – wet.

"Hm?" she mumbled.

"I notice you never take that heart necklace off," he pointed towards it, "—and I've seen you holding it a lot when you zone out, or when you're stressed about something. Does it have any meaning?"

"It does," she nodded.

"Tell me about it," he spun his fork between his fingers, "If you're comfortable, that is."

"Mat gave me this necklace when we were twelve. At that age, everything in my family was fine – we were happy," she paused, hesitating before she started up again, "—anyways. Matteo was always a curious child, and so one day, while my father was sleeping – he snuck into the garage. Boxes of my mother's things lived there. He dived in them and came up with this necklace," she touched it, "He placed this around my neck that day and I've haven't taken it off since."

Rueben grinned at her and watched as she smiled down towards the white gold necklace, reminiscing.

"That's a beautiful backstory," he replied after a minute.

"Yeah," she said softly, looking back down.

Rayne continued to play with her food, not moving for the next couple of minutes. He knew that her trip back into her happy memories must have brought some bad ones with it – especially with the way she completely avoids talking about them just now. Something told him that even her happiest memories couldn't maintain their happiness the long she was separated from her brother. He felt the same about Lilly, however, the only difference was – there's still hope for Matteo.

I will fulfill my promise to you, Red.

I will find your brother.

Rueben exhaled before pushing himself off the bed and grabbing his half – eaten food; he walked over to his dresser across the room and placed it there. He placed the towel around his neck on the floor near it; he walked back to Rayne after.

"Are you done?" he asked her.

No response.

She seemed to be lost in her own head again.