Chapter-22

We are back to Mahi's POV

.....

Well, that was awkward and scary at the same time. I thought Max was going to hit something, or someone, not me, that I was sure of. As soon as I saw D I sent him to rescue the situation and hold Max if necessary or if the situation arose.

I am supposed to be waiting for the guys so we could have dinner but I soo badly wanted to ditch them and go hide somewhere. Especially where Max could never find me. I could have attended the meeting with them, but I would have been a fool if I did that. Who wants someone glaring at you the whole time? I certainly do not want that and... it is always boring. Their line of work was behind my grasp of knowledge. Not that I am poor at studies or something but I just found their work going over my head. 

I was stressed and too much was going on my head. One time I wanted to sit and think about the kiss and in the same instant, I think about how wrong that is. I was going crazy. I ate whatever edible I could find on Max's desk and watched a short movie, went down the lift, and came back again and then again watched a short movie to occupy myself. 

I was bored out of my mind, tired of waiting for their meeting to get over, so I stood near the glass window that overlooks the city. Actually, I was bored of spinning round and round in his office chair and was about to puke. Childish I know, but I was bored so don't judge me.

I had no idea for how long I was standing there, coz after some time I had just seemed to forget about everything. I was in a world where nothing else but me existed when two hands snuck around my waist almost scaring me. Max was holding me, standing behind me, his chin on my right shoulder. He didn't have to tell me that it was him. His presence was enough.

I could feel his breath on my skin, giving me goosebumps. I wish I could stay like this with him forever. I wanted to cherish this moment for a long because it was not going to last.

Being soo attracted to someone like this should be illegal. It was hurting me so much not to be able to express myself to him.

"I wish we could stay like this forever. You in my arms," He murmured against my hair. My heart clenched with his honesty, he was thinking the same thing as me. I just stood there my body shaking, trying not to cry from this overwhelming feeling. Suddenly it was getting hard for me to just stand there and not let any tears escape me.

He squeezed me for a second and let go of me and then turning me around to see my face. I had started to cry, I wasn't a sobbing mess but I couldn't stop the tears from falling.

"Hey, what happened? why are you crying baby? are you injured? did you fall again or hit something? " Max asked me worried. He had never seen me like this before. And I started to cry more, I couldn't stop myself.

He cared so much about me. I didn't want to upset him anymore.

"Tell me why you are crying. Dammit!" He snapped, frustrated that hadn't stopped crying for the last 10 mins and I hadn't said even a word.

"Max, I am sorry," I whispered my voice slightly wavering "I just can't, can't do it" I continued.

"What are you talking about Mahi?" He asked me with a slight quiver in his voice. He was just affected as I was if not more.

"I know you like me, you know I like you but there is no future for us. I have to go back in few months, there is no use in taking this thing forward or even thinking about something that is not going to happen" I trailed of.

"I know about your situation baby, I know that you have to go back, but what if you don't go back and stay here instead? We can be together. " He said hopefully. He was not getting my point.

" You are not getting my point!" I yelled frustrated. " I just can't date you. You have plenty of options here. What if it doesn't work out? What if after some time you get bored of me and find someone else? What then? There is no guarantee that we would have a future together. I can't bear to lose you after that. I can't stay here just because someone likes me." I finally let out my thoughts.

"I am just someone for you?" He asked me dejected, like a blow to his chest he stepped back. "Am I just a random guy to you?" he continued. It's better this way I think. To break off whatever we have now, instead of dragging this for long.

"It's just what it is. You know I like spending time with you but I don't want to lead you on." I confessed digging my nails into my palm. It was hurting both of us but better be sorry now instead of later.

It was true, I liked spending time with him, over the past few days and months we had gotten closer, we could talk about anything and wouldn't even feel awkward. It was as if we had some kind of connection. We always had fun together, we fought sometimes, but we made up the very next moment because I could never stay mad for very long and he couldn't stay mad because I was good at convincing him.

We played around sometimes, even pranked D, it was all good. That is up until now. I never thought I would start to feel something about him. I never dared to imagine liking someone.

"You think I'll move on to someone else when all I want is you," he says gritting his teeth.

"I..."

" And here I thought we were getting closer, that you knew me. You want to marry someone you barely know but you can't stay with someone you like. Huh," He snarkily comments out of anger, and turned away from me, facing the window. What he said, made some sense. It made a lot of sense.

"Max, I think we are better off as friends, I don't want to lose what we have, you will see," I spoke behind him, my hand on his shoulder, but he flinched away from my touch. That hurt.

He moved towards his table and took his car keys and straightened up his jacket. And then spoke in a calm cold voice walking towards me.

"Mahi, I'll let this go for now. You know how I am, I always get what I want. But for your sake, you better stay away from me." He warned.

This is the first time he has said something mean to me and that too with so much coldness. If it was meant to hurt me, he did a good job. Well, I should have expected that already.

"Okey," I said quietly not saying anything else.

"Now, let's go. We are having dinner with some people, Derek and Seb are already there with them." He informed me even before I asked about them. He already knew I was going to ask about them.

Riding in the same car, with just the two of us. How fun. I thought sarcastically to myself.