CHAPTER 11 / CHILDHOOD FRIENDS

ZANE

We were waiting in a line, like, who stands in a line and then they tick them off? Okay, I have to say Nana's mum is crazier than Nana. What happens if they don't get ticked off? Do they not get any dinner? I can't say. She greeted everyone and shook hands and gave kisses on the cheek. Ugh! When now it was our turn. She even had a notebook and pen in her hand!

This is way, way, way more formal than a big Ro'Meave party. My parents would encourage you to be comfortable, occasionally everyone would be wearing suits, but for an average dinner, this was too much. 

I'm kind of glad, that Nana was so isolated from her family, if she was like this, I wouldn't be with her at all. But she's fun, silly and a little crazy. Not formal, strict, busy. It was just... unusual... this can't be normal...

Once it was our turn, I got a good look at her mother, she had brown eyes, and pink hair which faded into a blonde, she was wearing a traditional light pink kimono. "Hi, Nee. It's been a long time," her mother said. Nee? Her nickname? It's cute!

"Hi, Mum. Yeah, it has been." Nana said, almost in a monotone voice.

"Who's your partner?" Mrs Ashida asked. 

"Zane, Zane Ro'Meave," Nana said. 

"Zane Ro'Meave..." she said, then looked up and studied me. "Are your parents Zianna and Garte Ro'Meave?" she asked, her stubborn, full business mood, turned upside down.

"Yeah..." I said nervously, putting my hand behind my head, just a nervous thing I do. 

"Oh my gosh!! Oh my gosh!! Zianna, Garte and I went to high school together! Along with a transfer student from Spain, I think it was Sylvanna. How are they?" she practically squealed, turning a few heads in the other room. 

"They're good. I'm sorry, who are you?" I asked. Nana looked shocked but didn't know what was going on.

"I'm Alanna Ashida. Your mum must've mentioned me... some time.... in your life... Right?" Mrs Ashida said. 

"Uhhhh, no......" I said, looking at Nana. She shrugged, she must've had no idea what she was talking about like I did. 

"Oh."

"Wait. Sylvanna is Spanish, she's been friends with my mum for a long time... I guess they went to the same high school..." I said connecting the dots, then I shook my head.

"Hey Mikai, come here for a sec," Mrs Ashida called. Mikai was sitting at the table with his wife and children, creaking his chair back, he walked over.

"Yes, mum? What's up?" Mikai asked. 

"Do you remember Aphmau, Garroth, Zane and Vylad? You know our neighbours from the old house back in O'Khasis?" Mrs Ashida explained. 

"Yeah, of course, I do. We usually went to their houses after school and stuff like that. Lemme guess that's Zane Ro'Meave. I knew he was so familiar, the name and the look." Mikai said, pointing at me. 

"Yeah, how'd you guess?" I said sarcastically. 

"Well, you know your brother Garroth?"

"Yeah..."

"I remember him having a crush on Aphmau, along with Rei and Kenji. They always wanted to play with them and the like. Most of the time they were fighting over her," Mikai said. 

"Seriously? Garroth had that crush from back when he was a kid!? He still has that crush on her NOW!" I said, almost laughing hysterically. 

"Are you serious!?" Mikai exclaimed, "Heh, well this kind of worked out as fate. Since you wouldn't leave Nana's side most of the time," he added.