Chapter 3: Dépaysement

Dépaysement (n.) When someone is taken out of their own familiar world and into a new one.

Arabella's P.O.V.

As Alexander stepped forward to get a better view of the hallway, we saw an object fly across and smash into the wall beside us. A dark silhouette of a man appeared in the gallery filled with statues as he began to knock over the delicate pieces of art and shatter the glass casings by kicking them down.

This man is in need of medical attention, he is mentally ill.

"Alexander you need to stop him before he hurts himself," I said in a whisper as I flinched hearing another statue shatter into pieces.

"Stand behind me, Arabella," he said with his eyes and gun focused on the deranged madman.

The man directed his attention towards us and I placed my hand over Alexander's shoulder, gripping his jacket, wanting to pull us back, away from the lunatic's line of sight.

"Dov'è?!" the man yelled out at us (Where is it).

"You know what I'm talking about, tell me where it is!" he said while scowling at us.

Suddenly he pulled a gun out and pointed it at the ceiling, firing multiple shots in the air.

Alexander pulled us behind a stone column, shielding us from the gunman.

"We need to call someone; we need to call the police," I said frantically.

"The police will not help us here, Arabella," he said calmly, unloading his gun and counting the bullets he had left.

I looked at him in bewilderment with tears streaming down my face, is this man crazy as well?

Unexpectedly, the sound of tires screeching outside the building pulled me out of my thoughts and I watched as the bright headlights of cars started to illuminate the gallery through the windows. Multiple car doors began to open and slam shut.

We're being surrounded.

Alexander quickly stood up and muttered something under his breath that I could not understand. He held out his arm to the side making sure I stayed behind him as multiple men started to barge through the entrance doors.

The four men all held weapons in their hands and started walking towards us but soon diverted their attention to the crazed gunman that was now shouting in Italian.

"Figlio di puttana!" the madman raised his gun but before he could pull his trigger a gunshot rang through the air and he fell to the ground (Son of a bitch).

"Qualcuno pulisca questo," one of the four men said as he started to walk towards us (Someone clean this up).

"She has nothing to do with this," Alexander said while raising his gun at the man as he got closer.

"Are you threatening me, Alexander?" the man asked as he smirked and pointed his gun in return.

They know each other?

"It's a shame you are here trying to infiltrate our business, but bringing one of your filthy whores along with you to do your dirty work? The boss won't be pleased, he will kill both of you."

I stared at the blue eyed man who stood beside me, this was not the amicable and mellow person who took me out to the café, this man was different; he was dark and inhospitable. Who are you? Why do these men want to kill us?

"Alexander!" a loud booming voice echoed through the halls. That voice sounds familiar.

"Lets lower our weapons and talk in a civilized manner, sì?"