Chapter 20: Palinoia

Palinoia (n.) The obsessive repetition of an act until it is perfect or mastered.

Arabella's P.O.V.

"Okay, I'm ready now!" I shouted excitedly as I walked through the French doorway and tightened my ponytail. I ran my hand down my tank top and shorts to flatten out any wrinkles as I made my way towards Leone with a wide grin on my face.

"Are you sure you want to do this Bella? You just got out the hospital, I don't want to put you back in it," he said as he smirked at me.

"Yes, I'm sure," I replied as I rolled my eyes and smiled, but I still saw a hint of worry across his face.

"I'll be fine! I got a lot of rest last night," I assured him.

"Just try not to knock her out," Manny said as he sat down on a leather bench with a sandwich in his hands.

"I'm just making sure," Leone replied as he made his way onto the mat.

"Put your hands up," he said and I raised my hands in front of me.

"You're fighting him, Bella, not surrendering!" Manny shouted with bits and pieces of food in his mouth.

"Put your hands into fists," Leone chuckled as my face began to redden and I clenched my fingers together.

"Not like that," he groaned as he took my hand and repositioned my fingers into the proper place.

"Always place your thumb across your fingers, never tuck it inside your fist, you'll dislocate it when you punch someone."

"Got it," I replied as I put my fists up and waited for his next directions. Adrenaline surged through my body as I was eager to learn and try something new.

"Try hitting my palms first," he said as he raised up his hands.

I took a deep breath and focused on Leone as I sent my first punch towards his left hand but frowned as my hit was slightly off-center. I tried again as I punched his right hand and I bit my lip in excitement and joy as I was starting to get a hang of it. This isn't so bad, I thought to myself but I suddenly stopped and stumbled backwards at Leone's abrupt movements.

"You're supposed to block or dodge my punch, Bella, not flinch away," he said as he laughed at my startled expression.

"Did you just try to hit me?!" I asked him as I regained my stance.

"We are training are we not?" he asked as he brought his fists up to his face and eyed me carefully.

"You could've given me a warning," I exclaimed as we started to walk slowly in a circle, watching each other vigilantly.

"Your enemies will never give you a warning, Bella, now try to hit me."

I stepped closer to him and sent my fist towards his face, but he dodged it with ease. My other hand was making its way towards his jaw, but he caught my wrist and twisted my arm around my back as he pushed me towards the ground.

"You just shoved me," I groaned out in pain as I heard Manny laughing.

"When we step onto this mat I am not your friend, we are opponents and I will treat you like an enemy," he said as he stuck out his hand for me to take.

"Now try again," he encouraged me as I got back up on my feet.

I dusted off my hands and raised my fists, but I looked at Manny and rolled my eyes as I still heard him snickering. I immediately ducked down when I saw Leone lunge towards me in my peripheral vision but I dodged his punch as I moved my body out of the way. Just when I was starting to regain my focus, his other fist was already coming towards me as it forcefully made contact with my body.