Chapter 24: Weiji

Weiji (n.) From risk and opportunity, the idea that there can be a positive result in a wisely handled risk.

Arabella's P.O.V.

The full moon displayed its ethereal beauty as it brightly dominated the midnight sky, leaving no possibilities for stargazing as it drowned out even the brightest twinkling orbs. I watched as the calm waves of the Mediterranean Sea brought ripples of moonlight towards the shore and illuminated the white sand beaches. My eyes gazed out the window of the car and was drawn towards the elegant resort that sat gracefully on the rocky coastline of Siracusa.

I wanted to treasure and bask in the beautiful scenery in front of me, but my admiration was hindered by Nicolo's growing displeasure as the looming presence of tension thickened in the air. I studied Nicolo's face as the flashes of city lights allowed me to catch glimpses of his morose stare. Wrinkles formed between his brows as he frowned at the road and his knuckles appeared white as he gripped the wheel.

"Why do you want to help? You will get nothing out of this, you will not benefit from involving yourself in this situation," he asked suddenly in a vexed tone.

"Nicolo, you must live a very disappointing life with that mindset. Not everything you do comes with a reward," I answered with a sigh.

"But you have no reason to help-"

"Your men spoke of explosives, guns, and breaking in. The hotel may be run by a mob, but there are families there, couples, people who are enjoying their vacation," I explained as I cut him off.

"Not everything should be answered with violence. People could get hurt," I added with his lack of response.

"And if you get hurt?"

"I am only one person, I'd rather it be me than a family that gets caught up in your mess," I responded in a quiet voice.

"Maybe if you start to take other people into consideration for once, you'll begin to understand where I'm coming from," I said as I looked at his conflicted expression and left the car.

The crisp and cool breeze of the night surrounded me as I began to walk towards the entrance of the hotel. The sound of Nicolo's men conversing could be heard from behind me as the wind carried their light voices throughout the air. A chilling sensation began to crawl down my spine, not from the wind, but from the thought of my plan going awry.

The ideas that the boys mentioned during dinner were absurd, ridiculous, and unnecessary. The use of weapons and force should be their last resort, I could help them, or at least try to. My thoughts were suddenly interrupted as I felt the bitter wind disappear as a warm embrace surrounded me.

"I am trying to understand you, Arabella," Nicolo said softly from behind as he helped me put on his coat.

"Ma, per favore, try to see where I'm coming from when I say that I do not want to see you get hurt again," he said as he gently rubbed my shoulder as his fingers grazed by my stitches (But, please).

Nicolo placed his hand on my back as he guided me towards the hotel and gave a slight nod to the receptionist that sat at the front desk. Our footsteps echoed throughout the polished and spacious hallways as we made our way towards two large mahogany doors. The sandstone walls of the hotel showed signs of aging, but the golden trims and crystal chandelier created an elegant and charming interior.

Once Nicolo unlocked the doors, I was greeted with a sophisticated meeting room. I walked towards a glass wall that reached from one end of the room to the other, and overlooked the sapphire blue sea. I turned around to see Nicolo sitting at the end of a long glass table that faced a large whiteboard as he waited for his men to join us. I sat down beside him and gave a worried look as he pulled out a cigar.