Chapter 53: Novaturient

Novaturient (adj.) Desiring or seeking powerful change in one's life, behavior, or situation.

Nicolo's P.O.V.

To kill with purpose has always been my motive for committing heinous acts, but wanting to kill with impassioned rage, to kill from desire, had almost made me feel apologetic towards those I would encounter tonight. Anyone who stands against me will experience their last breath as my bullets will claim the lives of those who foolishly decided to become my enemy.

I began to take in my surroundings, the air was still, but deadly as it anticipated the violence that was soon to take place. The wind became stronger, howling between the trees as my men and I prepared to carry out our perilous plan.

"Are we sure she's here?" Leone asked beside me as we stealthily observed Romano's estate from afar, on a hill.

"She has to be," I replied while glaring at the familiar vans parked outside. We had tracked the vehicles back to this estate, but Arabella's location still remained unknown. It was uncertain if she had already been transferred to Cairo, but something needed to be done. We need to act now before it's too late.

"Okay, we're in," Gabe informed us while we watched a truck enter through the gates of the estate.

"Stay low. Make it quick," I directed the truck driver through my earpiece.

My men and I watched carefully as our plan was beginning to unfold. We had intercepted Romano's shipment of weapons and gone undercover, switching his guns with explosives and delivering it straight into his territory.

"It's time," Gabe said to me as our boxes of explosives were being unloaded from the truck.

"Get into your positions. Everyone knows the plan, once we extract Arabella we will initiate the timer for the explosives. You will have exactly ten minutes to get out of there," Leone said aloud.

"Shoot to kill. No one leaves that estate alive, except for her," I demanded before my men proceeded to leave.

"Stai attento," I said to Manny, grabbing his shoulder before he started to walk away (Be careful).

"After all we've been through, you think today is the day that I die?" Manny grinned playfully.

"I want a new Ferrari after this is done!" he called out jokingly over his shoulder.

I shook my head at his humorous remark during this time of seriousness, but a part of me had always felt grateful to have him as a part of my life. His ability to maintain optimism and hope during challenging situations had always helped us remain calm, it was something I never took for granted.

"It may be difficult for others to see, but you're afraid," Atlas remarked as he approached me.

"I made a careless mistake," I admitted while reloading the sniper rifle in my hands.

"Mistakes will always be made, they're inevitable. It's the resiliency we should focus on, but the moment you begin to lose hope, the second you let fear take control, you've already lost a fight that you never had the chance to begin," he said as we both looked out to the estate below us.

"It's respectable to see how much effort you put into saving my daughter. I suspect that you care about her more than you're leading us to believe," he spoke with confidence.

"I am just doing what I can to bring her back," I said sternly.

"We'll find her, don't worry. She's alive, she has to be," he replied.

"In the unlikely case that she's not, I don't think I could ever forgive you for what you've done," he said and my anger rose towards him for even considering that as an outcome.