Chapter 35: Capernoited Part: 1

Capernoited (adj.) Peevish; tipsy or slightly intoxicated.

Arabella's P.O.V.

I placed my lips along the smooth rim, sucking lightly as I sipped the sweet flavor that excited my taste buds and sent euphoric feelings throughout my body. The smooth texture of the cocktail passed through me like silk as I placed down an empty glass for the second time tonight.

"Do you want more?" Viv asked Ilaria and I as we all sat at the club's bar.

"No, I'm alright," I answered over the loud music.

"But, it's your birthday, Bella!" Viv said as she frowned at me.

"Maybe later!" I called out as I heard Ilaria chuckle at us.

I took a deep breath and flattened out the pink pastel satin dress Lorelei had let me borrow. I turned to my side and noticed a couple joining us at the bar as I gave the woman a kind smile. She glanced at me and gave a slight nod before sitting down with the man she walked in with.

"What can I get started for you guys tonight?" the bartender asked them.

"I'll take a Dos Aquis," I heard the man order.

"And for you, miss?" the bartender asked.

"An angel shot with lime, please," the woman said softly.

An angel shot, I repeated to myself as I looked up at her worriedly. Her body was tense and her hands gripped each other tightly as her nails dug into her skin. She looked up at the bartender with eyes that begged for help, but he did not seem to understand.

"I'm sorry, what was the drink?" the bartender asked with confusion behind his voice and the woman pressed her lips into a line as she became more nervous.

"She wanted a shot of vodka," I answered for her as I looked at the bartender.

"Ah, yes, I can make that for you," he said as he nodded and walked away.

"Are you alright?" I asked her as I placed my hand on Ilaria's arm to grab her attention.

"What is it, Bella?" I heard Ilaria ask, but I never took my eyes off the woman as I watched her turn towards me with hesitance.

"I'm fine," she responded as she turned her back towards the man to face me.

"Are you sure?" I asked again.

The woman nodded, but her hand gesture made my heart drop as I knew she was signaling for help. Ilaria and I watched the woman as she slowly held her hand up, placed her thumb in her palm, and closed her fingers around it, creating a fist.

"Get Nicolo," Ilaria said to me as she glared at the ignorant man that sat beside the woman.

"We'll get you help," I said quietly to the woman as I walked by her to find Nicolo.

I pushed through sweaty bodies that covered the dance floor as I made my way towards the back section of the club with private booths. I scanned the crowd and spotted Nicolo as Eva clung to his arm closely. I continued to walk towards them as I watched her get closer to him, but I became mindless of their situation as I was more worried about the woman.

I reached the booth and looked around nervously as Nicolo's men exchanged worried glances with me. I wanted to get Nicolo's attention without causing his men to become wary, but Eva obstructed his view from me.

"Nicolo," I called out and watched as Eva fell to his side as he pushed her off of him.

"Arabella, what's wrong?" he asked as he stood up and walked towards me.