Chapter 16: Sankofa

Sankofa (n.) (phr.) "Go back and fetch it"; we must look back to the past so that we may understand how we became what we are, and move forward to a better future.

Arabella's P.O.V.

Silence. I was no longer bothered by its eerie looming presence, not now, not this second. Instead, it was invigorating. The estate that is filled with secrets, violence, and deceit was now empty. Footsteps were no longer heard throughout the halls, hushed tones of men that discussed shady business could no longer be heard, and the moonlight, the only light source that illuminated the dark estate, was my confirmation that no one was awake.

I stepped away from the bedroom door and stood in the hallway, letting my pupils dilate to adjust my vision in the dark. My strides were quiet and cautious as I made my way towards Nicolo's office; anxiety overwhelmed me as I was afraid of getting caught, but the feeling of being in the unknown is what fueled my determination to read the contents inside the folder.

As I laced my fingers around the metal doorknob I took a deep breath and turned my wrist, but it did not move; it was stuck. It's locked. My hand that was once cold, felt clammy and hot as I began to sweat from panic.

There has to be a spare key somewhere. I thought to myself as I ran my fingers along the doorframe. Nothing. My fingers met the fabric of a Persian rug as I began to search under it. It's not here, I thought to myself as all I felt was dust along my palm. I stood at the doorway that was blocking me from the answers that I needed, there has to be another way.

I tried to push open the door again, but had no luck as I laid my head against the wood in frustration. I turned my head to the side as I looked at a golden picture frame that shimmered in the moonlight. It wouldn't hurt to try, I thought to myself as I traced my fingers along the frame and smiled triumphantly as I felt metal ridges that belonged to a small key.

I made my way inside Nicolo's office and turned on the lights, but frowned at the sight before me. The papers that laid across his desk were now stacked in a neat pile on the shelves that lined the walls and no folders could be found on his barren desk. I walked behind the table and sat down in his chair as I attempted to open the drawers, but they were all locked. I ran my hand along the underside of his desk in hopes of finding a key, but instead I was met with the cold metal surface of a gun.

Why would someone keep a gun at their desk? I thought to myself as I held the weapon in my hand, observing it closely as I walked towards a bookshelf that held some folders, hoping that it had the one I was looking for.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?" a fuming voice asked from behind me. I quickly turned around and my heart stopped when I saw Nicolo standing at the doorway.

"I-I was just-" I tried to mutter out an answer but words stopped coming to mind when Nicolo pulled out a gun from his jacket and pointed it at me.

Fear took over my body as I looked down at my hands and saw that I was still holding his gun from the desk, does he think I'm going to shoot him?

"Drop the gun, Arabella, or I swear to God I'll fucking kill you," he seethed as he focused his aim at me.

I need answers but a folder will not cost me my life, I thought to myself as I set the gun down slowly.

"Now you have ten seconds to explain this shit before I put you back in the cellar," he said as he walked towards me with his gun still raised.

My hands trembled as I began to pick at the sleeves of my shirt, the sound of my heartbeat filled my ears, and I bit my lip as I couldn't come up with an explanation to get out of this horrid situation. I felt frightened, unsettled, and subdued; until I saw it.