Chapter 23: Sobremesa

Sobremesa (n.) The time spent around the table after lunch or dinner, talking to the people you shared the meal with; time to digest and savor both food and friendship.

Nicolo's P.O.V.

"That was fun! We should do it again some time!" Arabella yelled out cheerfully as she tossed the keys to Leone and walked inside the restaurant.

"I don't know who to call 'Boss' anymore, you or her?" Leone said as he shook his head.

"Leone, I didn't know you could drift like that! I thought you were going to drive off the damn cliff!" Manny called out as he left his car.

"He wasn't driving," I said as I slammed my door and snickered at his dumbfounded expression.

"If I knew we were racing I would've won," Gabe said from behind as we started to walk towards the building.

I scoffed and shook my head in response to his dumbass remark. He wouldn't even come close to beating her, even I struggled to catch up. I trailed behind my men as I watched them walk inside; Leone was still rambling about what happened with Arabella as Manny laughed at his harrowing state. Never in my life have I seen them like this before; they were content, elated, and lively.

Before we came to know Arabella, there was no laughter, there was no sense of exuberance, and there was no light. Everything began to change; she's starting to change them, but is it a change for the better or is this becoming a weakness?

Consequently, I was beginning to feel satisfied, not because of her, but from seeing a different side of my men.

Even Dante looks like life was brought back to his dismal eyes.

"Ti incontrerò dentro," I said to him and he gave me a slight nod in return before walking away (I will meet you inside).

I stepped away from the entrance and stood in the parking lot as I began to contemplate Arabella's purpose in this mafia. If I deliver her to Cairo I will have the chance to expand this organization; my business will prosper, but at what cost?

If I don't give her up, she will become worthless and useless to me, but her relationship between my men have grown; I cannot betray them. The wellbeing of this family comes first, I will not allow a woman to disrupt that by sending her away.

I am doing this for my men, I reminded myself as I dialed a number on my phone.

"Nicolo, what a pleasant surprise," the voice spoke out in a disparaging tone.

"Cairo," I greeted.

"I believe you have something for me, that is why you are calling, yes?" he asked in a condescending sneer.

I cannot give up Arabella...

...for the sake of my men, I repeated to myself as I sighed in displeasure as I was going to lose this deal that would have been advantageous to my organization.

Fuck me.

"Unfortunately, for you, I have lost all leads on the people you are searching for. My men were not able to capture them," I answered blandly as the lie passed through my lips effortlessly.

I have been informed that her father has in fact gone off grid in Italia, but his precise location still remains unknown.

"Is that so..." he said warily.

"But the woman?" he asked promptly.

"We do not have her in our possession," I replied coldly.

"But, you-," he began to say but stopped abruptly.