Chapter 34: Meliorism

Meliorism (n.) The belief that the world gets better, the belief that humans can improve the world.

Arabella's P.O.V.

"Arabella," I heard a voice say, but my mind struggled to differentiate my dreams from reality as I was still half asleep.

"Wake up!" the voice said again as I opened my eyes to find someone shaking my shoulder frantically.

"Emersyn, is everything alright?" I asked worriedly as I shot up in bed.

"Come, dear, hurry," she said as she lightly took my hand and pulled me out of bed.

I quickly tucked my messy hair behind my ears and pulled on a sweater as I followed her out of the bedroom.

"Is everyone okay?" I asked as she practically dragged me down the stairs.

"Arabella! You're awake!" Lorelei said to me as we approached her.

"What's going on?" I asked, slightly out of breath.

"Mamma Em, Nicolo ha detto di svegliarla, non di spaventarla," Lorelei groaned as she guided me towards a window (Nicolo said to wake her up, not scare her).

"Mio figlio sta facendo qualcosa di speciale per una donna. Sono solo emozionato," Emersyn said as she smiled at me (My son is doing something special for a woman. I am just excited).

"They're here!" Lorelei gasped excitedly as she hugged my arm.

I looked out the window to see three black SUVs pull into the driveway. The car doors began to open, but Lorelei pulled me away before I could see the people that had arrived.

"Let's go," she said as we walked through the front doors.

"Viviana?" I whispered to myself as I watched her exit the car.

"Bella!" she called out as she rushed over to me.

"Viv, what are you doing here?" I asked as I hugged her.

"Celebrating your birthday of course," she said as she hugged me tighter.

"I've heard what happened with Giovanni. Are you alright?" she whispered to me.

"Yes, I'm fine," I replied quietly as I gave her a reassuring smile.

"I know something like that is hard to overcome, but you're not alone. I'm here if you need someone to talk to," she said as she gave me a sad smile.

"Thank you, Viv," I said as we began to walk up the steps of the mansion.

"Viviana, it's a pleasure to see you again, darling," Emersyn said as she greeted Viv with a hug.

"I'm happy to be here, Em," Viv responded.

"I've missed you!" Lorelei said as she exchanged hugs with her.

"Where is Ilaria?" Lorelei asked as she began to look around.

"She was in the car behind me," Viv said as we all turned towards the driveway.

A smile was brought to my lips as I saw Ilaria exit the car. Her blonde hair framed her vibrant face as she neared us with a grin. She waved her hand as she rushed over with a duffel bag across her shoulder, giving me a more pleasant and safer greeting, compared to when we first met.

"Hi, Bella! You were pretty wasted the last time I saw you, I hope you still remember me," she joked as she gave me a hug.

"Of course, how could I forget?" I teased as we laughed.

"Alice," I called out as I walked down the steps to greet her.

"Do you need some help?" I asked as I gestured towards her bags and held her frail hand while I guided her up the stairs.