Chapter 7: Aplomb

Aplomb (n.) Self-confidence or assurance, especially when in a demanding situation.

Arabella's P.O.V.

I felt too impure and flawed as my feet came in contact with the spotless white marble floors; my footsteps left a faint trail of some grime and blood that I gathered throughout the night. I turned towards the shower and my stained hands befouled the shining silver knobs as I waited patiently for the hot water to run through.

I turned towards the mirror and stared at my unclean body, shaking my head in disappointment, as if I was tainting the mirror with my reflection. I began to unbutton my blouse and my eyes followed the trail of blood from my chest and towards my belly button. I felt every ridge as my fingertips lightly traced over the lumps of dried blood that formed on my wounded chest. I stripped out of my clothes and looked in the mirror one last time before stepping into the shower that was now clouded with the steam of hot water.

I winced in pain as the raining droplets fell onto my chest and began to wash away the blood, exposing my wound. The cut was not deep but the stinging sensation brought tears to my eyes. I stood under the falling water as it pattered against my skin lightly, and I looked down as the white tiles were now stained with a mix of clear pure water and my filthy blood. I stood under the shower, not paying attention to the time as the world continued on without me; I stood still, not able to tell the difference between my tears and the drops of water anymore.

I turned off the water and stepped out from the shower as I began to feel hot and lightheaded. I stood in front of the mirror and gave myself a small smile as I saw my body was no longer stained with the events from tonight. Drops of water began to drip down from my damp hair as I began to dry off my body with the towel, lightly dabbing my wounded chest.

I let out a long sigh as I gripped the flimsy black lace undergarments in my hand, will this even cover anything? I put on the bra and watched as my breasts lifted up slightly and the lace hug my chest tightly as I latched the two pieces of fabric together. I groaned when I slipped on the next lace undergarment and felt that it barely covered anything.

When I observed my body more closely, I noticed that the lace pieces were see through; my eyes widened and I quickly grabbed the white silk robe. I tied the ribbon of the robe around my waist and frowned when I noticed that it was very oversized; the sleeve of the robe began to slip down my shoulder, exposing the top of my black lace bra and plump breasts. This will have to do, I sighed to myself.

I exited the bathroom slowly, careful to not slip on the wet floors, and made my way towards the bed. I grabbed a bottle of lotion and sat on the edge of the bed as I placed my feet on top of the leather ottoman below me. I placed some drops of lotion into the palm of my hand and began to rub it onto my legs, the cold liquid felt refreshing against my skin as I began to work my way up my thigh, pushing up the robe slightly. As I leaned down to finish my other leg, I felt the sleeve of the robe fall down slowly against my arm, exposing more of my chest.

As I started to untie the ribbon around my waist the door swung open and slammed against the wall.

"Nicolo," I said quietly under my breath in shock.

"What the hell do you think you're doing, Arabella?" he scowled as he began to walk closer to me.

I stared at him with a confused look until I started to remember, and my eyes trailed up towards the ceiling of the room and made contact with the camera. How could I have been so stupid to forget?

I turned towards Nicolo who now stood at the edge of the ottoman in front of me, why is he so angry?

I scoffed at him as I remembered his words from earlier and decided to play along.