Chapter 5: Sanguine

Sanguine (adj.) Optimistic or positive, especially in the face of a bad or difficult situation.

Nicolo's P.O.V.

My eyes gazed in satisfaction as the dried crimson blood stained the clear water as it flowed down the stainless steel surface from my hands. I pulled the knife out from my jacket and couldn't help but give a scornful laugh as I remembered the events that took place tonight. I will not lie, the Aetos Family's plan to disguise a whore as a worker and bring her into my territory was clever, but it was faulty.

Arabella broke so easily under my presence, I observed her carefully tonight and watched as she flinched at the sight of weapons and blood. She was weak and pathetic; the Aetos' should have known the whore was not fit to complete the job and go undercover; their boss is just as worthless and foolish as her.

I stepped away from the sink as I began to dry my blade with a handkerchief, but sighed in exasperation when my eyes found a trail of blood and muddy footprints staining my white marble floors.

The sound of heels clicking throughout the hall caught my attention as I looked up and glared at one of my maids.

"I do not just give you money for you to not do your job," I sneered at her, and watched as she nodded and quickly turned away to grab her cleaning supplies.

This is the only purpose that women have in the world of the mafia; they are not capable of handling the business of drugs, money, and weapons. Instead, they are traded and bought to fulfill our needs; I give my maids what every woman wants, a life full of luxuries and an estate to clean and cook in.

I started to make my way up the stairs, towards my office, but slowed down when I saw Leone walking towards me.

"What do you think they want?" he asked as I unlocked the doors to my office.

I remained silent as I didn't understand the purpose of Aetos sending two of his people into my establishment, the drug trade has been going well between our families and there were no issues to be resolved.

"Our families have not been at war for years. I thought we came to an agreement with them," he said as he sat down in the leather chair in front of my desk.

I began to pour a glass of whiskey and took a sip as I stared at the imbecile sitting comfortably in front of me.

"Leone, do not forget we have a mole amongst us, unless you are him I will not be taking any risks; so please, get your ass out of my chair and your feet off of my desk and shut the doors."

I stared at him as he chuckled and made his way towards the doorway. Leone and I have known each other for many years; we became close friends when I brought him into my mafia, he is one of the few men that gained my trust. As soon as Leone sat back down in the chair, the doors to my office were pushed open.

Oh, mio Dio. Un altro idiota.

"Shut the door, Manny," I sighed with my thumb and index finger pinching the bridge of my nose. Manuele and I have been best friends since we were young, he insisted I called him Manny as he always had a distaste for his full name. Unlike Leone, Manny and I were born into the mafia, he has saved me once when we encountered Romano and his men. He is almost like a brother to me; I would give up my life for him.

"Have you locked them in the cellars?" I asked, but sighed when he ignored me.

"Do we really think she could be part of this?" he asked as he leaned against the wall.

"We believe they were both sent by Cairo," Leone said, referring to the don of the Aetos family.

"But she seems so clueless, it doesn't even look like she's working with Alexander."