Chapter 33: Aeipathy

Aeipathy (n.) An enduring and consuming passion.

Arabella's P.O.V.

His presence is intoxicating, but his actions are deadly and his character balances on a thin line between good and evil. The air surrounding him is always heavy and I become suffocated with intimidation when he is around, but yet, I am overwhelmed with ecstasy when I am with him; I still find myself searching for him, wanting more.

"He's in the gallery, dear," Emersyn called out, pulling me out of my thoughts.

I turned around to find her standing at the end of the hallway, with a laptop in hand, as she closed a door to an office.

"You are looking for my son, yes?" she asked.

"I am," I responded as I gripped my bags and his debit card in my hand.

"Turn right and then go down the hall. He'll be in the room with the glass doors," she said with a smile.

"Thank you, Emersyn," I said as I gave her a kind smile in return.

The sound of her heels clicking against the stone floor faded away as I continued to walk towards the direction of the gallery. Once I reached the doors I slowly peeked inside to find statues and paintings organized around the room, and Nicolo with his back towards me as he faced a window while on a phone call. I lightly knocked on the door to grab his attention and began to walk towards him when he turned to me.

"Ti richiamerò. Fammi sapere quando il lavoro è finito," I heard him say to the phone as I handed him his debit card and began to walk away (I will call you back. Let me know when the job is finished).

"Wait, Arabella," he said as he walked towards me.

"Are you hurt? Did they touch you?" he asked as he put his finger under my chin and slightly tilted my head up, searching for any wounds.

"No, we're both alright. They didn't touch us," I said as I refused to look him in the eyes.

"I will not have them killed. They're not dead..." he said with a chuckle as he noticed that I was worried.

"...they'll just wish they were," he said quietly as I scoffed and rolled my eyes while I began to walk away.

"I am not done with you," he said in a displeased tone as I watched him walk towards the front of the room and lean against a wooden desk.

"Lock the doors," he demanded.

I narrowed my eyes at him and took a deep breath before turning around to lock the doors behind me. Once the doors were shut I sauntered towards him and watched as his eyes stared deeply into mine.

"You return with multiple bags, but I have not been notified about a transaction made with my card. Why is that?" he asked as he took the bags from my hand and began to look through them.

I bit my lip to hide a smirk that was starting to form on my lips as he gripped a piece of white lace lingerie in his hand.

"I used my own card," I said as I shrugged nonchalantly while he clenched his jaw in annoyance.

"But, I gave you m-" he began to say.

"I do not need your money to buy things for myself," I responded.

"Are you sure you just bought these for yourself?" he asked tauntingly.

"You had no other reason for buying these?" he asked as he put his hands on my waist and pulled me closer.

"How much did you spend, Arabella? I will have it transferred to your account" he said when I couldn't find words to speak as I held my breath.

"No, I will not take your money. I didn't spend much," I said and his grip around my waist tightened.