Chapter 51: Fanaa: Part 2

Fanaa (n.) Destruction of the self, destroyed in love.

Arabella's P.O.V.

I have never lived in fear until now, I've had no reason to, but the thought of violence, taking away the people I care for, makes me feel sick to my stomach. To have a life taken away by a bullet is simply just a tragic ending and it's not something I would want for others, even for Cairo's men, but this was Nicolo's plan.

There is nothing I could do or say to stop him. I can only hope for and pray that those I care about make it out of this alive.

I stared blankly at the fireplace, watching the flames dance around freely while I mindlessly twirled a strand of my hair around my finger and thought about the endless outcomes of Nicolo's plan. Time had passed since I've sat here in the living room with my anxious mind, waiting for the meeting to come to an end.

I pushed my thoughts aside at the sound of doors slamming open, causing me to flinch as I watched Nicolo storm out of his office. I slowly stood up from the couch, completely in shock, and nervously observed him while he rushed towards the room containing his family's most important possessions and secrets.

"What's wrong, Nicolo?" I asked with a shaky voice.

"I'm missing multiple files. Including Romano's," he replied. I began to walk towards him, but immediately stepped aside as he rushed past me. I followed him towards the bedroom with a racing heart as it seemed our time of peace and respite was coming to an end once again.

"I must have misplaced them," he sighed as he began to frantically search through the drawers while I anxiously stood in the doorway.

My palms became sweaty as I was starting to fear that someone had broken in last night through the window, but I was overcome with uneasiness once I saw Nicolo standing still in shock. I held my breath, dreading what was to come, while I watched him slowly reach out towards the bed.

My family's folder appeared ever so slightly under the pillow I had attempted to keep it hidden under, but it was enough to attract attentive eyes. The folder had exposed me as someone who uncovered confidential information, but from Nicolo's reaction, I was nothing more than a traitorous thief.

"Nicolo, I-I can explain," my voice stuttered out nervously. I reached out towards him, in hopes that he would listen, but my chest churned with sadness as he took a step away from me.

"Where are the other files?" he asked, almost inaudibly, in disbelief.

"I didn't take them," I spoke out, my voice shattering, as he refused to believe me and continued to search the room.

I stood in defeat, feeling weak in my knees while tears, which brimmed my eyes, began to cloud my vision. The closet doors slammed against the wall as Nicolo walked through and reached for the bag that contained my clothes.

Blood drained from my face as I witnessed what happened next. This can't be real, I tried to reason with myself while I watched Nicolo discard the contents of the bag. Jewels and necklaces, which were once placed in glass casings in the other room, began to fall onto the floor. I began to feel lightheaded while Nicolo clenched a golden chain in his fist, fuming with rage as he slowly looked up at me.

"I didn't do this," I tried to defend myself, but my words came out as a whisper.

"Someone set this up, you have to believe me, Nicolo."

"No one knows the location of this safehouse," he retorted angrily.

"Tell me you didn't steal this from the room and read the contents inside," he pleaded desperately as he waved my family's folder in front of me.